Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

i need help from you guys ASAP please!!! (esp. carpenters)

Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
i need help from you guys ASAP please!!! (esp. carpenters)

ok, i am in a dilemma here. i have a home improvement company coming out tommorow morning to install additional attic flooring. my house is built on a slab and of course like every other home, it has prefabricated trusses installed. am i asking for troubling by installing 180 sq, feet of additional storage flooring, i read somewhere online that pre-fab trusses are not designed for this additional weight. i am not really planning on putting heavy stuff up there, just typical garage and holiday decor junk, etc., totes, boxes, i need some expertsd here to chime in, thanks !!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
The type of loading you are referring to will most likely be fine .

Do your trusses free span long distances between walls ?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

no, they dont
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoTitan11 View Post
no, they dont
You'll be fine for the light loads you are talking about , my concern would be that , as most common trusses are 2x4 bottom chords , if they sheet the bottom chords , that only allows 3 1/2" for insulation which is usually R12 .

They also MUST NOT cut out any of the truss webbing
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #6

one guy told me the flooring should be raised because we have blown insulation
Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
2012 DCLB
gsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Chief Yeoman
Name: Douglas
gsxrdoug's Tacoma Gallery
Depends on if there is a load bearing wall underneath if so pre-fab trusses are usually the same if not better than the ones built onsite. When walking around up there don't step through the ceiling! Heavy stuff keep over load bearing walls. You'll be fine.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #8

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
one guy told me the flooring should be raised because we have blown insulation
Exactly
Old 05-06-2012, 06:22 PM   #9
2012 DCLB
gsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedgsxrdoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And what Oz said don't let them take out the webbing that is what holds the whole thing from falling into your living room.

You can improve strength by sistering 2x4 or 2x6's to the existing beams, which will increase load strength however pain in the ass.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #10

is that right? should the flooring be raised higher, for insulation purposes?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #11

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
is that right? should the flooring be raised higher, for insulation purposes?
Yes
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #12
greenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreenrustic is one of the sharper tools in the shed
greenrustic's Tacoma Gallery
I think you'll be fine. I assume the flooring is plywood and if installed well will tie all the trusses together, make it a stronger system and any weight (which doesn't sound like a lot) will be carried by all the trusses.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #13

what do you mean by the webbing?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
what do you mean by the webbing?
The 2x4's or 2x3's that connect the top chord to the bottom chord
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #15
2012 DCLB

imagine lots of triangles.

Hard to get the stronger Circle up there....
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #16

i just dont to have problems down the road, you know? i know everyone wants to make money but this is my house and i dont want anyone to screw it up . so the weight issue i should be good, i just need to make sure about the insulation issue then, right?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #17

triangles, gotcha...can someone confirm the insulation issue? do they need to remove the blown insulation and install rolled insulation?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i just dont to have problems down the road, you know? i know everyone wants to make money but this is my house and i dont want anyone to screw it up . so the weight issue i should be good, i just need to make sure about the insulation issue then, right?
Yep
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #19

yes to the removal and re-application of the other insulation? sorry to be a pain in your asses guys
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #20
2012 DCLB

insulate and be done with it. Again store heavier along load bearing walls and lighter stuff don't worry about it.

I remember my dad having all kinds of crap in the attic with just 2x4 rafters and ply wood laid down not nailed down. You would have to walk along the rafters at certain points.