Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

how to fix hole in PVC pipe?

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
how to fix hole in PVC pipe?

...drilling to put toggle bolts into wall, ..hanging cabinets.. looks like i drilled into a PVC pipe in the wall, ...waste or vent?... anyway, hoping theres an easy way to plug the little hole...

Old 05-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Cabinet height, my guess would be vent, unless you are on something other than the first floor.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 PM   #3
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
you have to cut it and put a couple at the joint correct?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
ɔoɯq
BMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shedBMOC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paden
BMOC's Tacoma Gallery
duct tape
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hell if it's behind cabinets just cut an access hole to access the "damage" then fix the pipe in question.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #6

Small cut in dry wall or similar material, and JB WELD FTMFW
Old 05-12-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
you have to cut it and put a couple at the joint correct?
Ding ding ding!! We have a winner.

Get yourself some pvc cleaner and glue, usually sold together in a brown can and a purple can, and a union. Cut the pipe in half where you drilled into it. You'll have to bend the pipe pretty good to get the union in there. Use the cleaner on both the pipe and the union, apply the glue, and stick it back together. Everything should be good as new. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:13 PM   #8

Ha Ha just saw the home improvement thread, isn't that always the case, try and fix or do something and it turns into a mess. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
yeah it's on the first floor, ...the pipe is right up against the f-ing drywall, ..so assume it spans the width of the stud (drain/waste)?.... can i just glue or screw some kind of plug into it?
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Stuff an HDMI cable or one of your spare guns in the hole
Old 05-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #11

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
it's a big 3" pipe (actually 3.5"), running vertical between studs, ...some moisture in the hole, ..i think its waste pipe serving the second floor?..?... anyway, i think i have a plan:

cut annular ring from another piece of pipe (same size), ...only about 3/4 of the circle, ...this will "snap" around the pipe, to help hold in place while the pvc glue dries... so i should be able to use this method to weld the annular patch right over the hole... i'm trying a test run on a scrap piece of pipe, same size... hopefully this is a good idea, i hope...
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
it's a big 3" pipe (actually 3.5"), running vertical between studs, ...some moisture in the hole, ..i think its waste pipe serving the second floor?..?... anyway, i think i have a plan:

cut annular ring from another piece of pipe (same size), ...only about 3/4 of the circle, ...this will "snap" around the pipe, to help hold in place while the pvc glue dries... so i should be able to use this method to weld the annular patch right over the hole... i'm trying a test run on a scrap piece of pipe, same size... hopefully this is a good idea, i hope...
Awesome idea if you are OK with the upstairs poop water inside your wall cavity later
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #13

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Awesome idea if you are OK with the upstairs poop water inside your wall cavity later

? what cavity?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM   #14

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

? what cavity?
Isn't the pipe inside the wall ?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Isn't the pipe inside the wall ?
you don't think this is a good fix?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #16

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you don't think this is a good fix?
I wouldn't trust it to not leak if it is a waste stack , if it is a vent it would probably be OK
Old 05-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #17

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't trust it to not leak if it is a waste stack , if it is a vent it would probably be OK
...hmm, ..well it's not under pressure, right?.... not sure why it would'nt be trustworthy?... the guy at the h/w store was trying to peddle some tape to put over it, or epoxy putty?... i figured welding pvc to pvc would be better?
Old 05-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #18
Bishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBishop2Queens6 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Bishop2Queens6's Tacoma Gallery
JB weld to plug the hole would be the most dependable QUICK fix.

I would go the correct route which has been stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
Get yourself some pvc cleaner and glue, usually sold together in a brown can and a purple can, and a union. Cut the pipe in half where you drilled into it. You'll have to bend the pipe pretty good to get the union in there. Use the cleaner on both the pipe and the union, apply the glue, and stick it back together. Everything should be good as new. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
...hmm, ..well it's not under pressure, right?.... not sure why it would'nt be trustworthy?... the guy at the h/w store was trying to peddle some tape to put over it, or epoxy putty?... i figured welding pvc to pvc would be better?
It's not under pressure , no .

The inside diameter of the pipe won't match the outside diameter of the same size pipe .

It's up to you , if it was my place , I'd replace the section of pipe
Old 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #20

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2Queens6 View Post
JB weld to plug the hole would be the most dependable QUICK fix.

I would go the correct route which has been stated:
i don't think i'll have the clearance or range of movement needed for a typical pvc union...?

Products Discussed in this Thread