Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Bed Ammo Can Mount Write-Up

Old 05-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Post Bed Ammo Can Mount Write-Up

Hi all, I decided to do a write up of my ammo can mount. Credit for the idea goes to member "GTABurnout," who I first saw the mount from. I believe he has a small write up in his build but I figured I might do a specific thread about it with my experience on the project. I used my father's old 7.62mm army ammunition can and bedlined it using Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner Paint. I also stole GTABurnout's idea and put an 1/4'' eye bolt through the handle and put a padlock on it to keep my belongings secure. I decided to not drill through the center of the handle since that was where the can was held together from and I didn't want to compromise the strength of the can, so I drilled off-center and used a second washer for the eye bolt on the outside to space the eye bolt out from the handle so I could put the padlock through. You guys can experiment with different size hardware and such but I will posting my specifications from what I used.

Tools Needed/Preferred:

(1) Ammo Can
(3) 1/2'' Hex Bolts
(3) 1/2'' Hex Nuts
(3) 1/2'' Neoprene Washers
(1) 1/4'' Eye Bolt
(2) 1/4'' Nuts
(1) 1/4'' Neoprene Washer
(1) Rustoleum Truck Bed Liner Paint Can
(1) Cordless Drill
(1) 1/2'' Drill Bit (capable of drilling light-grade metal)
(1) 1/4'' Drill Bit (capable of drilling light-grade metal)
(1) Padlock

Write Up

• Paint (can be done after drilling if preferred)
  • Measure holes to fit rail system and drill
  • Slide bolts through rail system
  • Attach bolts through can holes
  • Attach hardware
  • Enjoy!

Finished Project Driver's Side:

Recovery Strap and Inside View (can also see the D-Rings I mounted in the front of the bed recently):

Inside View w/ no Recovery Strap:

The door will not hit rear glass or paint (rest on rubber seal)

*EDIT* (Added twin ammo can on passenger side)

Finished Project Passenger Side:

Inside View with no ratchet straps/rope:

Inside view w/ ratchet straps/rope:

Top hits rubber seal on passenger side as well:

Final Finished Project:

Hope it was a good read, and good luck!
Old 06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
How long are the 1/2" bolts you used? And they are the hex heads? I was going to use rounded head carriage bolts, because I figured its the only thing that would fit into the rails.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TJ
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. You could also get some t-slot nuts that fit in the rails and run the bolt into them. I'll get the mcmaster carr part number that I got that fit in the rails tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Fish
ABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shedABregenzer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ABregenzer's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed for later. Got the ammo cans, just need time to put it all together.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Nick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to beholdNick701 is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Comm
Nick701's Tacoma Gallery
If anyone is looking for more ideas
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-ammo-can.html
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! i like the black rugged finish, matches bed
Old 06-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
How long are the 1/2" bolts you used? And they are the hex heads? I was going to use rounded head carriage bolts, because I figured its the only thing that would fit into the rails.
I believe the bolts I used were 1/2'' by 1.5''. I looked for shorter bolts so they wouldn't stick out so much but unfortunately those were the shortest Home Depot carried. And yes they are hex bolts but some of the other people on TW that have done this mod have used rounded head bolts. (Hex bolts obviously fit but it's whatever you want to do.)

Matt
Old 06-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The Mcmaster Carr part number for the t slot nuts I bought is 90526A592.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDaTugBoat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
The Mcmaster Carr part number for the t slot nuts I bought is 90526A592.
Will these lock into the notches in the bed rails?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #11
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDaTugBoat View Post
Will these lock into the notches in the bed rails?
Sure will!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
I'm your huckleberry

Another question for the OP. Does the can sit on the fender? Or is it suspended? I think from the pics it looks suspended.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #13

Firefighter:
Quote:
Another question for the OP. Does the can sit on the fender? Or is it suspended? I think from the pics it looks suspended.
Are you talking about the top of the can touching the rubber seal on the rear window? If you are, then yes, it touches the rubber seal, which is the best part because you don't have to worry about it hitting your rear window or cab paint.

Matt
Old 06-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
Are you talking about the top of the can touching the rubber seal on the rear window? If you are, then yes, it touches the rubber seal, which is the best part because you don't have to worry about it hitting your rear window or cab paint.

Matt
I am actually talking about the bottom of the can. Does the bottom of the can rest in the bed?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #15
TacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDaTugBoat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I recently had my cap broken into and all my tools stolen from inside my cap. I am thinking of putting in maybe 4 of these with cam locks installed on the tops to store straps and stuff in. Am adding a tailgate lock this afternoon, so that and some locking boxes will provide multiple layers of deterrent.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #16

Firefighter:
Quote:
I am actually talking about the bottom of the can. Does the bottom of the can rest in the bed?
No, it is suspended a couple of inches above the wheel well. There are different sizes of ammo cans, so you may be able to get a .50 Caliber can or other that could rest on the wheel well if you looked around enough.

Quote:
Also, where did you get these and what size are they? I'm putting in another ammo can on my passenger side bed and may even think about re-mounting my driver's side can with these if they secure better.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #17

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/3210/=huj95h
Old 06-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #18
I'm your huckleberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacoFF View Post
No, it is suspended a couple of inches above the wheel well. There are different sizes of ammo cans, so you may be able to get a .50 Caliber can or other that could rest on the wheel well if you looked around enough.

OK thanks.

Also, where did you get these and what size are they? I'm putting in another ammo can on my passenger side bed and may even think about re-mounting my driver's side can with these if they secure better.
I got these from McMaster Carr. There are other places to get them, I cant remember where I first saw them...
Old 06-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #19

Old 06-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #20

I think you can get something similar from Uni-Strut