Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Interior Latex Paint

Old 05-31-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Interior Latex Paint

Flat
Matte
Semi Gloss
Eggshell
Gloss

We have kids and want something that looks good and is washable without leaving wipe marks from cleanup. We used cheap paint and learned a valuable lesson last time.

Have always used eggshell but have heard there is a trent towards using flat paint. I know Gloss inside is out of the question but I will roll it in the garage for water resistance.

Discuss...
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i prefer flat (shows less imperfections, ..is less shiny), ...i use behr paint from home depot, ..i think it's pretty good, their flat paint is washable IMO, ..but if you expect a lot of dings from kids/etc, i'd go w/ the eggshell finish... only use semi-gloss or gloss for trim/etc...
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Flat for ceilings , eggshell for walls
^^THIS!

I've always used BEHR paint.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Dromlace is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
Dromlace's Tacoma Gallery
Okay here's where me working at home depot comes in handy. I worked in the paint department.

We carried Behr, Glidden, America's Finest, and Speedwall.
The last three brands are all under Glidden.

There's: Flat, Flat Enamel (Flat but washable), Eggshell, Satin, Semigloss, High gloss

Flat is what most people do in bedrooms. It also doesn't show imperfections like other sheens.

If you have kids the MINIMUM i recommend is eggshell, the higher "sheen" you get, the easier it is to wash. If they like to touch everything I'd go with eggshell if not satin (not that shiny).

ALSO, the higher the sheen, the more water resistant it is.

Personally I like the Behr regular paint and paint+primer paints before Glidden.

For garage paint, I'd just use speedwall semigloss. It's cheap and washable.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Custom User Title
Zac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedZac808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: CSAR
Name: Zac
Zac808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Flat for ceilings , eggshell for walls
Yep. And sem-gloss for trim. Just re-painted my trim last weekend. Use Behr Ultra. Primer/Paint in one.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Use Behr Ultra. Primer/Paint in one.
How well does that stuff work ? Seems too good to be true .
Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I prefer Sherwin Williams super paint flat personally. Flat doesn't show the imperfections in the drywall. It's a much better paint than Behr IMO. Also, in my experience of all the painting I've done with it, (with the exception of red) it will cover in one coat without the need of all that Paint and Primer in one bullshit everyone is advertising on TV.

I have cleaned the walls numerous times with the flat and it has come clean. My golden retriever likes to rub against the walls to scratch his back and he leaves greasy "rings" around the rooms from the oils in his hair. I just use a normal sponge and a little Mr. Clean mixed with water and wipe them down.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
coffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoffeesnob is one of the sharper tools in the shed

coffeesnob's Tacoma Gallery
Most expensive paint you can afford. Really good paintbrush/roller Put on two coats use semi-gloss.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Canadian Bacon
spares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shedspares is one of the sharper tools in the shed

spares's Tacoma Gallery
Go to Dulux and get their diamond eggshell brand. Its super durable, washable and covers really well. Its a little pricey but in the end a bedroom should take at most 2 gallons for 2 coats so it won't be that bad.

For coverage, paint should go 400 sq ft a gallon, second coat is 60-80% the amount of paint.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How well does that stuff work ? Seems too good to be true .
i've been using behr ultra of late... i'm very happy w/ it, .. it is expensive, ..but if you're going to prime anyway, it's a nice/easy way of doing it... typically i do two coats of this stuff, ...it is a little more viscous than regular paint, so make sure you stir it up really well before using, ..sometimes the primer component kind of settles out from the paint in the can over time, so good mixing is essential..
Old 06-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #13
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
i've been using behr ultra of late... i'm very happy w/ it, .. it is expensive, ..but if you're going to prime anyway, it's a nice/easy way of doing it... typically i do two coats of this stuff, ...it is a little more viscous than regular paint, so make sure you stir it up really well before using, ..sometimes the primer component kind of settles out from the paint in the can over time, so good mixing is essential..
We used it on our condo as well. Two coats pretty much covered everything.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
Glidden sucks... you don't get what you pay for; it doesn't cover well. Olympic is good and so is Dutch Boy. Everyone says Behr is great, but it does cost a lot more. You should use satin or semi gloss.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
stuckinoh is on a distinguished road
Name: Brett
stuckinoh's Tacoma Gallery
I like Olympic low VOC. You can paint all day and barely smell it at all. Won't run you out of the house from fumes. All my walls are satin sheen and come clean good with a Mr Clean magic eraser.