Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Drilling SS need tips please

Old 06-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Smile Drilling SS need tips please

Need tips on drilling holes in stainless steel saw blade for my rear tine tiller converted to wire trencher.
Basically I have a 14" fire and rescue blade that needs 4, 3/8" holes for the hub/collar to mount up (I'll get pics up later).
Anyway I'd tried this years ago with regular drill bits and it was a joke.
I know I need low rpms and some oil. What I don't know is exactly what kind of bit is best????titanium, carbide etc.
Please help any recommendations appreciated.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
I hate machining SS. I would start with pilot holes and work your way up to the 3/8" bit.

The cutting speed is 30-50 so using this formula:

This is for HSS bits

(CS X 4)/drill size = RPM

So a .250" HSS bit should be run at
(40X4)/.25 = 640 RPM
(50X4)/.25 = 800 RPM

.375"
(40X4)/.375 = 427 RPM
(50x4)/.375 = 533 RPM

With carbide you can generally go twice as fast but seeing how this is SS I would not recommend it. SS work hardens very quickly if not machined properly.

Go slow and easy, plunge and retract, and use plenty of oil.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
TiN coating helps preserve the bit too.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
Hey,

135 Deg Split Tip Cobalt bits work well with lube the coatings that come on them are fine for extending the life of the bit but thats all they really do. For stepping to a 3/8ths hole I would go 1/8, 5/32, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8 here is a link to a speed and feed calc for you. http://www.ttp-hard-drills.com/drilling-speed.html This is all with out knowing exactly what that blade is made of I looked there are several dozen variations lol. I have used the above method drilling may types and grades of stainless but every alloy is DIFFERENT. 98tacoma is very correct it takes a millisecond to work harden Stainless and then your done unless you happen to have some really expensive industrial diamond bits one of which might run you 60 bucks plus. You want to use a cutting oil not just regular motor oil btw.

Cypher
Old 06-01-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet guys thanks for the tips!
Old 06-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Pelfreybilt Off-Road
Socalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalduckslayer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Socalduckslayer's Tacoma Gallery
Dont use carbide unless everytihg is really stable. Cobalt should be fine, like others said, do it in steps. Only concern is that it may be a treated stainless since its a type of blade. Common 300 series stainless should be ok but if its a form of precipitation hardened stainless it could get pretty tough.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #7

Airun's Tacoma Gallery

Slowly but surely (hopefully).
Old 06-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
OMFG.... you didn't say you were doing it with a hand drill! I assumed you were using a press.

Wow... That's going to take some time and a LOT of oil... I have a hard time getting enough pressure on a hand drill to go through SS.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #9

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah I know better, but my drill press and two others locally are all too small a radius for a 14" blade to set on so I figured F it, I'll just go slow and use an ass load of oil and see what happens. I've actually made good progress . I'm probably 10-20% along after 45 min of work LMFAO. Definitely sacrificing several bits to appease the gods of cutting mayhem.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Cypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shedCypherian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 2A773 Retired
Cypherian's Tacoma Gallery
How did you make out?
Old 06-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #11

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Just getting ready to hit it again in a couple hours.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #12

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

Got a set of cobalt bits and finished up. Went surprisingly well. Probably another 45 minutes of work.
Thanks again guys