Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Bed rack/spare idea (maybe its been done)

Old 06-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
"Pick up some speed.. You'll make it."
BuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuzzardsGottaEat is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines
Name: Chaz
BuzzardsGottaEat's Tacoma Gallery
Bed rack/spare idea (maybe its been done)

I was looking at a few bed racks (the lower profile ones only a few inches higher than the bed top) and saw a few guys switching between their RTT and spare or whatever other mounts.

Has anyone ever mounted a spare to the bottom of the rack (how it is on the bottom of the truck) leaving space on top for your RTT or whatever as well as not taking up space on the floor of the bed?

To each their own and racks vary a lot person to person depending on use

Jw if anyone's ever mounted the spare suspended from the bottom of the rack. Thought it might clear up some space for those with Swiss army racks
Old 07-16-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
I saw a rack somewhere that they used the factory lift from under the truck like your talking about and mounted it to the underside of the rack. I can't remember where I saw it though. It looked like it worked though. Go for it and post up some pics.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
rushr is on a distinguished road
rushr's Tacoma Gallery
Thats how mine will be. In a lockable basket below the RTT/rack at bed rail height. Spare will slide out from either side of the truck.

Hope to have it built soon
Old 08-04-2012, 01:28 PM   #4
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Here's what I built. It bolts to 4 factory bed bolts, and ties into rail system. The whole rack comes out with 8 bolts and if needed, the spare tire part comes out with 4 and you can still haul larger items. It also tilts up from near 3rd brake light allowing to slip things under also.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
area 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shedarea 52 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Retired
area 52's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2230 View Post
I saw a rack somewhere that they used the factory lift from under the truck like your talking about and mounted it to the underside of the rack. I can't remember where I saw it though. It looked like it worked though. Go for it and post up some pics.
I've been considering doing that as an option for the one I'm having fabricated right now. Current plans are to mount it on top, but I see no reason why I couldn't mount it underneath. This is pic of the rack. it still needs the tire mount and hi lift mount added. I also had a CB tab welded up front.

Jim

Old 08-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
I asked this question a while back on a different thread where somebody had posted a picture of their rack. It seemed to get no responses - I almost wondered if I was thinking crazy stuff that wasn't really feasible. Now I feel better! I am curious to see if/how this idea has been tried.