LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

amaes's Tool Restoration Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
amaes's Tool Restoration Thread

So I recently got into old tool restoration. Its was something to keep me busy in the evenings after work that wasn't car related and cheap. So far I have done two vises just started a third today and almost finished with my tackle box lunchbox. For the two Vises I finished already I didn't take many pictures so I have a few that I can post this one I just stated I'm documenting more. Every part comes off and gets refinished to good or better then new. I'm also going to start doing ratchets and wrenches when i can find them. Feel free to post your old tools

Fuller 5" Made in Japan 1970s:

Before:

After:

Starrett Athol 614 4" USA Made 1920s

Before:

After:

Morgan Chicago #35 3.5" USA Made 1930s

Before:

Broken Down:

Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
Epic Member
tvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtvbd56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
tvbd56's Tacoma Gallery
Wow those look awesome!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! The Fuller is mine that's why the slide and handle are painted. The Starrett Athol is one I bought for my dad as a father's day gift so I matched the paint to his Matco Tool Box. He has been wanting an old vise after he saw mine refinished. The Morgan will get painted the factory blue.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #4
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
sweet! those should last forever now
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd, looks like an awesome thread
Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Did you replace the vise jaws with new parts?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
The jaws on them have been perfect so there was no need to replace them. I did have to make a screw for one. Got a screw the was close then cut it and ground it down to the right size. To give it the look i heated it with a torch and then put it in motor oil.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaned up some of the smaller parts and the handle/screw on the Morgan Last night with the wire wheel. The main parts and Jaws are going to have to get media blasted. The wheels and wire cups were doing nothing but making rusty dust in the garage.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Just wondering....With the Red, and Blue vice.....es....why didn you paint them all one color as they were originally? Dont get me wrong, as they look great the way you did them, but just wondering why you chose to paint them the way you did, rather than all one color as they were....
Old 06-13-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
I like the contrast, adds to the look of the vices. Are you going to use them, or just have them as display pieces? Nice job either way, can't wait to see some old pipe wrenches restored.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
I like the contrast, adds to the look of the vices. Are you going to use them, or just have them as display pieces? Nice job either way, can't wait to see some old pipe wrenches restored.
X2. The contrast is cool
Old 06-13-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtacomaguy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Just wondering....With the Red, and Blue vice.....es....why didn you paint them all one color as they were originally? Dont get me wrong, as they look great the way you did them, but just wondering why you chose to paint them the way you did, rather than all one color as they were....
With the Red one its my personal vise that I knew I was planning on keeping for myself so I wanted to do something a little different with it to make it my own.

With the Blue one Its a Father's Day gift for my dad. He has a Matco Tool box the same color like this one so I wanted it to match. If I was just going to sell it I would have done the factory Tanish color and and raw cast iron.

I plan on using them. The Morgan I'll most likely get rid of because its too small for my use. I'll either throw it on Ebay or see if one of the collectors on the tool sites will trade me for some other tools.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
With the Red one its my personal vise that I knew I was planning on keeping for myself so I wanted to do something a little different with it to make it my own.

With the Blue one Its a Father's Day gift for my dad. He has a Matco Tool box the same color like this one so I wanted it to match. If I was just going to sell it I would have done the factory Tanish color and and raw cast iron.

I plan on using them. The Morgan I'll most likely get rid of because its too small for my use. I'll either throw it on Ebay or see if one of the collectors on the tool sites will trade me for some other tools.
Cool! the story behind the color choice is half the fun of these threads
Old 06-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Yup. The Starrett I had to make a tool to put the handle back on. Its spring loaded and held with a pin and the only way to get it back on was to make a notched tool out of some 1" conduit to compress it and put the pin back in. It was also missing one screw on the jaws so I went to Copperstate and got something close enough and made it the same size the others. To give the old look like the others I heated it with a torch and then dunked it into some old motor oil I had around. Then mared it up with a flat head screw driver. you'd never know it was a replacement.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Get busy living, or get busy dying.
teamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really niceteamfast is just really nice

Royal Canadian Air Force: Top Secret
teamfast's Tacoma Gallery
Cool thread, keep it going.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:12 PM   #17
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
What kind of paint do you use, and where do you get it?

Tools look great! Lets see some more!
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #18
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfast View Post
Cool thread, keep it going.
Thanks, glad to see people are enjoying it.

For anyone feel free to post your old tools. love seeing stuff others use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
What kind of paint do you use, and where do you get it?

Tools look great! Lets see some more!
I use 1-3 coats of self etching primer, 2-3 coats rustolium enamel, and 1-2 coats of clear enamel after its dried for a few days. Everything can be found at lowes. Some of the tool resto guys use the enamel that comes in a can and brush it on. I like spray paint because its easier. With tools you are going to use paint is going to get messed up no matter what unless you powder coat them, so it easy to fix with the spray paint. Once I start getting into more high end stuff I'll use my mini spray gun on the compressor. The letters are painted by hand with model paint from the Hobby shop
Old 07-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
Cuz Stock Sucks

amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Well gave the Blue vise to my dad for fathers day and he loved it! Its a perfect match.

He found this Rockwell Recipicating Saw at a flea marked in CO for $10. Its all metal. It will be my power tool.

Already bought the stuff to make a new cord for it at Ace Hardware.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
Houston's Swamp Rat
wrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrxRome is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
wrxRome's Tacoma Gallery
subbed!