Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Dishwasher half-ass repair/Any experts??????

Old 06-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Dishwasher half-ass repair/Any experts??????

Ok so we did all new appliances 2.5 years ago and didn't really do our homework. So we've already had to take Frigidaire dishwasher in once for $180 repair and it's worked fine for several months. Anyway tonight we started to run and got an error code "uo".
Net search: means vent open. So anyway I fiddle with vent module and figure out how it works and read a little more online and find out that the vent has an optical sensor to tell it whether or not it's open which it was doing unecessarily causing the code. So I keep jack'n with it and figure out a way to bypass sensor function. I then remove the piston that opens the vent valve to disable that to prevent leaks. The way I see it the only feature we r giving up is drying and it seems to work now.
My question is: does this seem ok/safe?
Could it cause overheating?
Any thoughts appreciated. We have always hated this machine and throwing a 90$ part plus shipping at it seemed like a bad idea.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Bumpdate:
Finished and seemed to work ok. Had an error "drying" code so I assume it didn't enter the drying cycle which should be a good think. Just open the door and let the steam out.?.?.?.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I work on such things for a living.

Not real familiar with the Frigidaire units, but as long as you didn't do anything unsafe with the wiring (not likely, since the vent doesn't really pull any power), you're fine.

The worst that will happen is your dishes just won't dry. There have been dishwashers built without vents installed in them. The folks that are unfortunate enough to buy one complain constantly that they don't dry worth a damn. But it's not a hazard. Opening the door at the end of the cycle to let the steam out is a good move regardless.