1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tool Organization??

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by jeckel7234, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jun 20, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    jeckel7234

jeckel7234 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    VA
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma
    Add-a-Leaf, Leveling Kit, 31.5 Nitto Grapplers, Mag-Lite Mod, Anit-Key in the ignition beep mod, Tail gate theft mod, Trifecta tonneau cover, washable cabin air filter,
    How do you organzize your tools, ie wrenches and sockets. Ive got way to many sockets and wrench's and hate looking through them for a particular size, i really am not a fan of the socket metal clips or the wrench plastic holders with the slots they slide in. Just trying to see what other people do for some ideas

2. Jun 20, 2012 at 5:05 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Full metric and standard set incl deep sockets all organized with the rails with the metal clips. Works for me, and I can take a full rail of sockets with me under the truck or wherever when i dont know the exact size required. Also probably your cheapest option.
    Ryan

3. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    wileyC

wileyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Centerville, OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner Double Cab TRD Sport
    sockets i just neatly arrange in my tool chest drawer... same w/ wrenches - just put some rubber drawer liner in there, works great to keep them in place...

...another nice way to store wrenches is pegboard..

4. Jun 20, 2012 at 6:47 PM
    mdcmn7

mdcmn7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck
    East Coast
    Wrenches have both a peg board and a drawer with liner

X2 for the rails with your sockets, they stay nice and organized in the drawer, you can grab one and have them all under the truck when u don't know the size, and you know when one is missing

I have an old craftsman socket set from many years ago that I cut out the tray from the plastic case and it fits perfectly in the drawer

Now keeping all the odd stuff organized is a different story

5. Jun 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport 4x4
    Upgraded 2002 Tacoma to 2018 Tundra
    I bought all my tools in sets that came in the plastic carry cases. One each for sockets and one for wrenches in both SAE and metric. I keep them like that in my tool chest drawer. A little bit of extra work to open the case every time, but easy to pick up the whole thing and take to wherever I work. Also easy to see if something is missing when I am done. Screw drivers, pliers, squares and some other commonly used tools are on a peg board above the work bench, so they are always within reach.

6. Jun 20, 2012 at 8:39 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    I've got trays but recently had to fit all my tools into just the top half of my box. :rolleyes: So I had to compact everything.

I went to harbor freight and found plastic rails with plastic pieces with metal ball detents. I like them a lot better than the metal rails.

Also have, in the past, used foam and cut it out for all the tools with a razor and then laid them in the drawer stuffed in the foam. Works good with socket trays, but can also use the rails.

some of these look cool

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_hand-tools+sockets+socket-holders

Products Discussed in

To Top