1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

truck light wiring problem....

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by RBoyd0325, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:26 AM
    RBoyd0325

RBoyd0325 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4 3" lift
    okay guys, I have a ford e-350 box van, and the lights in the back of the truck, where all my tools etc. are, don't work. There is a short somewhere but I cant seem to find it. You can replace the fuse, but as soon as you turn the switch for the lights on, it blows the fuse. Does anyone on here think they know what might be causing this, or at least a good place to start? I'm not planning on taking it somewhere and dropping a bunch of money for someone else to figure it out. They aren't a necessity, but i would like to have them working for jobs at night. Help me out if you can guys, I know there's someone out there who could fix it! Thanks

2. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM
    TMW

TMW Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma 4x4 SR5
    Light bar and bumper guard, 3/16 steel skid plates for engine, tranny and transfer box, OME 881 springs with 5100 shocks at mid clip. AAL in rear. Positraction rear diff.
    I would start by taking off the light cover and checking for any shorts at the light area. Trace the wiring from the light backwards and look for any place where the frame or body of the van was damaged and could have smashed the wiring. If the wiring runs under the truck follow it back. Usually wiring under a truck or van is pretty well protected but who knows. If nothing found maybe it's a bad light switch. What year van is it?

3. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    x2. Start with the lamps themselves and start tracing the wiring back. My bet would be on a chaffed wire somewhere. If you know the wiring route, you could just get some new wire and wire loom and redo the wiring. Might be easier than chasing the wiring through the truck looking for a short.

4. Jun 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM
    RBoyd0325

RBoyd0325 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off Road 4x4 3" lift
    I Havent checked the wiring under the truck yet for kinks and shorts so I'll have to do that. The truck is a 1996 though

Products Discussed in

To Top