Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

truck light wiring problem....

Old 06-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Rollin' through life in a 4x4
RBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Richard
RBoyd0325's Tacoma Gallery
Post truck light wiring problem....

okay guys, I have a ford e-350 box van, and the lights in the back of the truck, where all my tools etc. are, don't work. There is a short somewhere but I cant seem to find it. You can replace the fuse, but as soon as you turn the switch for the lights on, it blows the fuse. Does anyone on here think they know what might be causing this, or at least a good place to start? I'm not planning on taking it somewhere and dropping a bunch of money for someone else to figure it out. They aren't a necessity, but i would like to have them working for jobs at night. Help me out if you can guys, I know there's someone out there who could fix it! Thanks
Old 06-21-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
I would start by taking off the light cover and checking for any shorts at the light area. Trace the wiring from the light backwards and look for any place where the frame or body of the van was damaged and could have smashed the wiring. If the wiring runs under the truck follow it back. Usually wiring under a truck or van is pretty well protected but who knows. If nothing found maybe it's a bad light switch. What year van is it?
Old 06-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMW View Post
I would start by taking off the light cover and checking for any shorts at the light area. Trace the wiring from the light backwards and look for any place where the frame or body of the van was damaged and could have smashed the wiring. If the wiring runs under the truck follow it back. Usually wiring under a truck or van is pretty well protected but who knows. If nothing found maybe it's a bad light switch. What year van is it?
x2. Start with the lamps themselves and start tracing the wiring back. My bet would be on a chaffed wire somewhere. If you know the wiring route, you could just get some new wire and wire loom and redo the wiring. Might be easier than chasing the wiring through the truck looking for a short.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Rollin' through life in a 4x4
RBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRBoyd0325 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Richard
RBoyd0325's Tacoma Gallery
I Havent checked the wiring under the truck yet for kinks and shorts so I'll have to do that. The truck is a 1996 though