Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Utility Knife Frustration

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Utility Knife Frustration

I'm sure I am not the only one with this problem (see pics) When you pay 15.00 for a utility knife you would expect it to hold up. Not so. I really wish I knew where to get the replacement screw assembly for these knives.(these are just a couple) I already went and bought a new Milwaukee knife and took it apart and used some thread locker on it. I will let you know how it goes. I am also going to send the utility knives back to the companies as well and make a few suggestions.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 06-24-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I really like the Milwaukee brand knife. I own that Dewalt one as well. Somewhat small but I like it for a compact knife. It has not fallen apart "yet"
Old 06-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
I just get the Stanleys that retract and store spare blades in the handle.

I get the kind that use a single screw to hold the whole handle together.
Every one I've tried that had a button blade release or a "flip-out" blade storage area has broken within days.

Sometimes cheapest and simplest is the most solid.

But... I also have my Cold Steel folder in my pocket 24/7.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Fixed blade is the way to go, thats all ill use when im roofing. I use that milwaukee knife thos and im suprised how well it has held up for that style knife
Old 06-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #7

I own another Lennox knife that is built like a tank. Hell of a knife but bulky.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

Every one I've tried that had a button blade release or a "flip-out" blade storage area has broken within days.

X2.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
best knife for me to date is my leatherman skeletool. Got it for christmas here on the Christmas Exchange, and it hasnt failed me yet.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #10

I think I may have a problem. Thats my problem. Guess 1st step is admitting it.

I'm sure I have more.......................
Old 06-24-2012, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
best knife for me to date is my leatherman skeletool. Got it for christmas here on the Christmas Exchange, and it hasnt failed me yet.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Khaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shedKhaos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bryant
Khaos's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I had a pic of my work knife, the things a joke. Plastic casing, auto retracting blade, rounded tips, -_-

I can say the Kobalt utility knives are of so/so quality, for the money I'd avoid them.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
This is the only utility knife I have found that is worth a damn. Most of them are super cheap and way too bulky. Before this I carried a Kershaw Ken Onion asst open. Before that was a little Gerber asst open, which both of those, the springs broke. I should send them in and get them fixed... I have been carrying this for about 2 years now I think. Not one loose or lost screw, and no issues.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
This is the only utility knife I have found that is worth a damn. Most of them are super cheap and way too bulky. Before this I carried a Kershaw Ken Onion asst open. Before that was a little Gerber asst open, which both of those, the springs broke. I should send them in and get them fixed... I have been carrying this for about 2 years now I think. Not one loose or lost screw, and no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-22-4183...+utility+knife
Old 06-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
TacomaRockStar is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
Name: LUCA
TacomaRockStar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsupl View Post

Yup I got this one also and will never go back. I got lucky and got it for 45.00 shipped
Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #17
4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future4banger09 has a brilliant future

Name: Alex
4banger09's Tacoma Gallery
I need a utility knife at my work (paper maker) and the best one is the grey stanly non adjustable, you can fit at least 2 packs of blades in them and it's lasted me awhile so far
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

x2. For any task that puts a lot of stress on the blade, the fixed blades are the only way to go. I use the fold out ones for simple tasks like wiring but they won't hold up to say cutting roof shingles.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #19
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of Milwaukee's drills but that utility knife unfortunately is a bad design. It's blade holding capability failed on me after about a year and I didn't use it very much. I am back to using the old Stanley knives.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #20
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4banger09 View Post
I need a utility knife at my work (paper maker) and the best one is the grey stanly non adjustable, you can fit at least 2 packs of blades in them and it's lasted me awhile so far

I buy my blades in packs of 100!!!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread