Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Torque Wrench Recommendation

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

TRDsport253's Tacoma Gallery
Torque Wrench Recommendation

Anyone know where I can get a reasonable priced torque wrench that's best used for automotive?
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
RINZLER
T4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shedT4C0CH40S is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Stefen
T4C0CH40S's Tacoma Gallery
subd im interested to know what others reccomend too, i was just lookin on amazon yesterday to buy one
Old 07-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Phillip
lowcountrytj's Tacoma Gallery
I know you said reasonable, but I am a fan of Snap - on. You get what you pay for. Calibration can be done on most your local area trucks. Ive had several different brands but always went back. Torque values are true . Are you torquing wheels or what?
Old 07-19-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
lowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowcountrytj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
you looking for a 0-150 or up to 250 flb's ???
i have the 0-250 one from home depot.... husky i belive
so far so good
and at a good price
Old 07-19-2012, 04:31 AM   #6
TRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to beholdTRDsport253 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcountrytj View Post
I know you said reasonable, but I am a fan of Snap - on. You get what you pay for. Calibration can be done on most your local area trucks. Ive had several different brands but always went back. Torque values are true . Are you torquing wheels or what?
Leaf springs ubolts, spark plugs, and anything that requires torqueing. I want one that will do it all when working on my vehicles. Im done going to dealerships for stuff that i can do my self.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 AM   #7
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Leaf springs ubolts, spark plugs, and anything that requires torqueing. I want one that will do it all when working on my vehicles. Im done going to dealerships for stuff that i can do my self.
Smart man. The highest rated torque on a Tacoma that I can think of is the crankshaft pulley bolt. It's 184 ft/lbs. on the 1GR and 192 ft/lbs on the 2TR (from 2005/06 FSM). The next biggest torque would be the hub nut at 173 ft/lbs. So anything over 200 ft/lb capability should do fine.

Just don't let anyone else know you have one because they will want to borrow it all the time.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #8

Army:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDsport253 View Post
Gotcha...yeah I dont blame you a bit. I have a hard time letting someone else mess with my rides or anything for that matter. Guess its a guy thing lol.
Get a good wrench...and have it checked from time to time. Nothing worse than torquing something and snapping off a fastner and finding your torque values were off
Old 07-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Dark Lord of the Sith
wrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shedwrmathis is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Tech Insp: 404 ASB/4th CAB
Name: Ryan Mathis
wrmathis's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to wrmathis Send a message via Yahoo to wrmathis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Smart man. The highest rated torque on a Tacoma that I can think of is the crankshaft pulley bolt. It's 184 ft/lbs. on the 1GR and 192 ft/lbs on the 2TR (from 2005/06 FSM). The next biggest torque would be the hub nut at 173 ft/lbs. So anything over 200 ft/lb capability should do fine.

Just don't let anyone else know you have one because they will want to borrow it all the time.
i thought the crankbolt was 204? thats what its suppose to get torqued to when installin the supercharger.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
BuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
BuckWells's Tacoma Gallery
Try looking at pawn shops. I've seen several that were probably never even used.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmathis View Post
i thought the crankbolt was 204? thats what its suppose to get torqued to when installin the supercharger.
Page 4

http://ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/ilea...6ta/007003.pdf

Maybe the supercharger has something to do with the increase
Old 07-20-2012, 01:09 AM   #12

I'm on a Ramen noodle kind of budget. I can't afford a $200 to $400 wrench. I still need to buy a floor jack and jack stands.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:14 AM   #13
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
I've been satisfied with my Craftsman. It's the twist adjust and click type. It's shown to accurate enough compared to Snap On and other indicator needle dial types.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:32 AM   #14
welcome to the incredibuild
Twistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shedTwistedfreedom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Twistedfreedom's Tacoma Gallery
Clickers are the best the dials are crap.
Check some of the local pawn shops lots of unemployed mechanics out there selling tools to get by. should be able to pick up a snap on for about 150 or less.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 AM   #15
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedfreedom View Post
Clickers are the best the dials are crap.
Check some of the local pawn shops lots of unemployed mechanics out there selling tools to get by. should be able to pick up a snap on for about 150 or less.
Agreed. I dont remember how much my Craftsman was but I bought it in like 06, its been tossed in the trunk, taken to a bunch of autocrosses, used every time i had to torque lug nuts and everything else I ever bothered to get a tq. spec on, banged around and used pretty well (even breaking nuts loose by someone else once in a pinch. dont do that though!) and seems to work just fine still. If I find it to be inaccurate or faulty, bring it back for a free replacement!
Old 07-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #16
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i too have a husky torque wrench (got from HD), ...seems pretty good, and price pretty good - lifetime warranty..
Old 07-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #17
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Cornwell. Quality is excellent.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
One of the biggest things is Care. Turn it back to 0 when you put it away and do not drop it or hit on anything hard.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:04 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Crossposted from another thread.
My wrenches are all either Craftsman or Husky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
The problem with wanting "just one" is the range of adjustments and useful range. Torque wrenches are most accurate in the center 60% or so of their adjustment range, and I really don't like using them in the bottom or top 10% or so.

If I were buying "just one", I'd get one in a 3/8" drive with a 10-80 ft/lbs range. That'll cover spark plugs and most other engine parts. You'll want something bigger for lug nuts and some suspension parts.

I own 5...
1/4" drive in inch/lbs (admittedly you don't need this)
3/8" drive in inch/lbs (25-250, equals 2-20 ft/lbs)
3/8" drive in ft/lbs (10-80)
1/2" drive in ft/lbs (20-150)
And "The Beast".... 1/2" drive that ranges 50-250 ft/lbs.

My 10-80 3/8" is the workhorse for spark plugs and such. I think I paid about $75 for it.
My 1/4" drive is pretty much used only for torquing the cam bearing caps on my dirtbike. Aluminum cap, aluminum head, NO BEARING... the cam rides on the bare aluminum, and it takes about 5 ft/lbs or 60 in/lbs. Going to 7ft/lbs will smash the cap and gall the cam and bearing surface.

Always, always, always... When done working, release the tension on the adjuster... loosen the handle all the way to the lowest setting. Some will indicate "Park"
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
BuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shedBuckWells is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
BuckWells's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
One of the biggest things is Care. Turn it back to 0 when you put it away and do not drop it or hit on anything hard.
This. I work in a calibration lab. We certify all types of torque wrenches to aircraft standards. It's very important to set the wrench back to zero when finished. If not, the tensioner will eventually wear out, and your torque values will be off. I've seen quite a few that look like there's no way in hell they will be in tolerance, but they still torque correctly. Good brands can certainly take a beating.

Products Discussed in this Thread