Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

DIY Network

Old 08-03-2012, 02:38 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
LOL

So you guys actually have seismic codes?
From looking at bridges in the Portland area, you'd think they were in Nebraska... that place is going to fall into a pile when the subduction zone lets go.

But the area that I'm worried about is the midwest.
When the New Madrid fault goes again, it's going to be widespread because there's no underground features to mitigate the extent of the shaking.
Looking at "did you feel it" charts, the shaking intensities reported in the midwest are far higher than those of comparable quakes out here.... quakes that we don't even feel show a near panic response in the midwest.
And none of the construction or infrastructure in that area is designed for it.
Yes , BC has seismic requirements as part of our building code
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #22
The lice...they hate the sugar
Richard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shedRichard Cranium is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ted
Richard Cranium's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
LOL

So you guys actually have seismic codes?
From looking at bridges in the Portland area, you'd think they were in Nebraska... that place is going to fall into a pile when the subduction zone lets go.

But the area that I'm worried about is the midwest.
When the New Madrid fault goes again, it's going to be widespread because there's no underground features to mitigate the extent of the shaking.
Looking at "did you feel it" charts, the shaking intensities reported in the midwest are far higher than those of comparable quakes out here.... quakes that we don't even feel show a near panic response in the midwest.
And none of the construction or infrastructure in that area is designed for it.
It's because we don't live with or expect it out here! People out here think "Ring of Fire/San Andreas - oh that's nowhere near us, we don't have anything like that here" and when a little tremor comes around on occasion in OK or St Louis or wherever, people flip b/c they think it's impossible. In the end it's $$ and odds - why earthquake proof that bridge and spend the money when there's a .0000000000000000001% chance we'll have a quake large enough to take it down in our lifetime? Screw the people that'd be under it!

I agree with you though...when Yellowstone blows, we're all pooped on out here
Old 08-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #23
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ya, but the shaking itself is more intense.
On the "did you feel it" maps, the relative levels are not based solely on the reporter's feeling.
It's a series of questions such as
did it wake you? was walking difficult? was anything damaged? Did large appliances move or fall? did the building crack?

Now, MAYBE that wall has had that crack in it for 5 years, and maybe Billy Bob didn't realize that his dawg had knocked that cookie jar in the floor the night before.....

So a 3.0 out here has an entirely blue or even white map with a few dozen responses spanning 2 counties.
A 3.0 out there has solid orange areas (minor structural damage) and hundreds of responses covering an area larger than LA.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Lots of that stuff is sketchy

Brian Baulmer is a funny guy
I just watched his two-part episode where he helped the father of 5 rebuild his house (Family Dreams Come True, 2009). It was pretty moving. That guy must have felt totally hopeless and overwealmed before they came in and helped out. It was great seeing the entire community come together to help the guy.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 AM   #25
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I just watched his two-part episode where he helped the father of 5 rebuild his house (Family Dreams Come True, 2009). It was pretty moving. That guy must have felt totally hopeless and overwealmed before they came in and helped out. It was great seeing the entire community come together to help the guy.
That guys "cottage" is bigger than most houses in my entire state....lol

Although because of him and Mike Holmes I did fork out the $500 and buy the Schluter Shower system when i redid my master bath last year. That stuff is amazing. Hope its legit and never leaks.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #26
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
That guys "cottage" is bigger than most houses in my entire state....lol

Although because of him and Mike Holmes I did fork out the $500 and buy the Schluter Shower system when i redid my master bath last year. That stuff is amazing. Hope its legit and never leaks.
We've been watching that as well. I thought the same thing. It's one hell of a cabin.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #28
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
time to change avatar Oz:

Lol , my wife says I look like Brian everytime we see him on TV
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Lol , my wife says I look like Brian everytime we see him on TV
I think we need a side by side comparison... LOL
Old 01-17-2014, 08:50 AM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
We've been watching that as well. I thought the same thing. It's one hell of a cabin.

I read somewhere that it was well over $1 million to build and I'm not suprised