Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

DIY Network

Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Network

So I've often wondered what Contractors/Home improvement professionals think of some of the people on the network.

Who do you think is right-on and who's an idiot to be avoided?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Lots of that stuff is sketchy

Brian Baulmer is a funny guy
Old 08-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Lots of that stuff is sketchy

Brian Baulmer is a funny guy
I like that guy a lot. I just recently saw his show (Disaster DIY) and started recording it. I like that he explains the "why" of what he's telling them to do.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Goes back to well before the current morons on TV.

Even Bob Vila had a number of lawsuits against him for "This Old House" and he ended up stepping back and using local contractors rather than doing the work himself.
He was familiar with code in his area, but not in other parts of the country where he worked and a lot of homeowners needed to have his work redone.

I lost all respect for Bob when he started hocking cheap Sears Chinese junk tools.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #5
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if the various "Crasher" (Yard Crashers, etc.) shows are on DIY or just HGTV, but most seem to do shit work and are obnoxious.

What do you guys think aboot Macgillivary, or whatever this name is on the rental space show?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Schwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shedSchwinn is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jamie
Schwinn's Tacoma Gallery
I have a relative who's a contractor. He tells me Mike Holmes is really good, just a little overkill on some things. Personally, would rather be overkill than lax. As an aside, I've also heard he's a class guy. I used to see him driving around a lot, but I think he got rid of the personalized plates because it was becoming a serious hazard in traffic. I've heard he was having some financial issues before he got his first show, partly due to him fixing stuff that others screwed up, and not getting paid full buck for it.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My girlfriend refuses to let me watch most of those shows because I get irrate and start yelling at the TV when they're doing something stupid

Also, for the love of God, IT'S FUCKING CONCRETE, NOT CEMENT! Sorry, pet peave and most of those residential bozos on TV can't seem to get it right...
Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #9
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
What about Holmes (might be a different network)
OZ makes sweet love to him in his dreams.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
What about Holmes (might be a different network)
I like Holmes, he actually does seem to do things correctly. I enjoy watching his show. Plus he seems to have the most attactive work crew I've ever seen on a construction site. Have you seen the chicks he's got working with him?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #11
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
I like that guy a lot. I just recently saw his show (Disaster DIY) and started recording it. I like that he explains the "why" of what he's telling them to do.
Check out " House of Brian " or " House of Brian , on the rocks "

Those series are him building his own house and his lakeside cabin

FWIW , my wife says I act and look just like him , lol
Old 08-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #12
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Also, for the love of God, IT'S FUCKING CONCRETE, NOT CEMENT! Sorry, pet peave and most of those residential bozos on TV can't seem to get it right...
Don't make that too big of an issue or we'll start hearing them "laying the concrete on the bricks for the wall"
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Holmes is good , he has done a lot of good to promote awareness about shoddy building practices

None of the stuff they build is high end though
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Don't make that too big of an issue or we'll start hearing them "laying the concrete on the bricks for the wall"
Sure, what's wrong with a little aggregate in the mortar?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Done that .

Concrete seismic ring beam
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Sure, what's wrong with a little aggregate in the mortar?
1" gravel aggregate for a fireplace?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Done that .

Concrete seismic ring beam
Bite me
Old 08-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bite me
Hostility

Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #19

LOL

So you guys actually have seismic codes?
From looking at bridges in the Portland area, you'd think they were in Nebraska... that place is going to fall into a pile when the subduction zone lets go.

But the area that I'm worried about is the midwest.
When the New Madrid fault goes again, it's going to be widespread because there's no underground features to mitigate the extent of the shaking.
Looking at "did you feel it" charts, the shaking intensities reported in the midwest are far higher than those of comparable quakes out here.... quakes that we don't even feel show a near panic response in the midwest.
And none of the construction or infrastructure in that area is designed for it.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Check out " House of Brian " or " House of Brian , on the rocks "

Those series are him building his own house and his lakeside cabin

FWIW , my wife says I act and look just like him , lol
Cool, thanks! I set the DVR up to record it.