Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #301
Empty But Dirty is on a distinguished road
Empty But Dirty's Tacoma Gallery
Ok, I'M Making one of those!
Old 03-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #303
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Ok. That's it I swear. One more load......
Old 03-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #304
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Ok. That's it I swear. One more load......
Maple ?
Old 03-22-2013, 06:23 PM   #305
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Awesome

My motto is " never say no to free firewood " haha

I also luck out , as a carpenter I always end up with kiln dried framing and finishing scraps , I use that at the beginning and end of the burning season

I also have a pretty much endless supply of cedar kindling from soffits and siding etc
My wife makes fun of me for being such a scrounge, I'll stop at a persons house if I see they have a tree down and ask them if they want the wood and I'm constantly looking on Craigslist for free wood.

Oz, what kind of tree is madrone? I've never even heard of it here in Massachusetts.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #306
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
My wife makes fun of me for being such a scrounge, I'll stop at a persons house if I see they have a tree down and ask them if they want the wood and I'm constantly looking on Craigslist for free wood.

Oz, what kind of tree is madrone? I've never even heard of it here in Massachusetts.
The name " madrone " is what's it's called in the States , up here we call it Arbutus

It only lives right along the coast

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_menziesii
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #307
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've only been on the west coast once, I think I remember seeing that but never knew the name. Is it a hard wood? How long does it take to season? Around here my best wood is locust but it takes a long time to get properly seasoned. It's mainly that and maple for me, but out here on the east coast a lot of people turn their noses up at pine so it's usually easier for me to find it.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:42 PM   #308

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've only been on the west coast once, I think I remember seeing that but never knew the name. Is it a hard wood? How long does it take to season? Around here my best wood is locust but it takes a long time to get properly seasoned. It's mainly that and maple for me, but out here on the east coast a lot of people turn their noses up at pine so it's usually easier for me to find it.
It's a weird tree , yes hardwood , but it's a leafed evergreen , even in the middle of winter up here it has leaves

Where I am it takes at least 2 years to properly season it , 3 is better if there are rounds .

It twists like a mother when it grows and when it dries so you either have to split it right away when it is green , or wait till it is totally dry .

It burns like coal and gives off more BTU's per cord than any other firewood

http://thelograck.com/firewood_rating_chart.html
Old 03-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #309
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Maple ?
No it's some kind of oak. I've spent a lot of time on the interwebz trying to figure out the species and the best I can figure is Shumard oak.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_shumardii
It's grain is gorgeous and its extremely heavy when cut green. This particular tree was diseased and dying and had a lot of spongy areas in it. There were some larvae in areas and some white powdery mildew or fungus in spots as well. They always grow along creeks, streams and washes and father in law calls them water oaks. Several on our land are dying and over the last 10 years it seems as if the rate is increasing.
This tree was about 36" in diameter at trunk and I split it all by hand, but I had to slab around the outside first. Fun times. Made 2 loads. About 3 rick.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #310

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Picked up a load of smaller fir and alder logs destined for a burn pile at work

Cut them to 5' - 6' for easier transport

Old 04-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #311
motorcycle07 is on a distinguished road
motorcycle07's Tacoma Gallery
First year heating with wood. Moved out of the folk's to a place with a standalone cast fireplace (not sure what to call it). In the colder weather I am only able to use it as supplemental heat. It is not airtight so it is running wide open all the time. I know I'm sending a lot of heat right out of the chimney but I have plenty of trees on the farm to use. On the upside I don't worry much about a flue fire! I plan on getting a new stove this summer. Started out with about a cord and a half and thought that would do me for most of the winter and I went trough it it under a month. Then my 86' pickup was murdered and I had to use my grandpas dodge for a few months before I bit the bullet and bought a '13 tacoma. Attached is my truck a few days after I got it with a load of oak.

This winter I mainly cut up a cord or so at a time of dead wood. Mostly red oak and elm. Next year I will have a bunch of shittier wood that came from fence rows and is seasoning now. Mostly mulberry and wild cherry but some locust, hedge, and maple.

I enjoy the hell of of heating with wood.
Attached Thumbnails
Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics-dsc_0196.jpg  
Old 04-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #312
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Splitting some wood for the shed.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #313
Small and Tall
tacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacobell007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Drew
tacobell007's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacobell007
Just helped my boss out at his house a couple weekends ago. Took down 3 huge maples, trunks at the base were probably 22 inches in diameter. I know one of the trees had been tapped about 7 or 8 times about 30 years ago. We are guesti-mating about 6 or 7 cords of wood. Pieces in the pictures need to be split at least one more time to fit in a wood stove.

We use a wood stove at my house for heat. We had a problem the first couple years with the upstairs not getting heat, but we solved that with a piece of PVC allowing cold air down the stairs and warm air to rise. Before you could literally feel the wall of cold air about 4 steps from the top.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:30 AM   #314
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Finally got a pic of the stove at my cabin:

And getting some wood on Saturday:

Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #315
Minimum Wage!
cdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shedcdikkers is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
cdikkers's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to cdikkers Send a message via Yahoo to cdikkers Send a message via Skype™ to cdikkers
I made a curbside stop and decided to save the Department of Public Works a little effort. I figured Oz would approve...

Old 09-11-2013, 05:41 PM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle07 View Post
First year heating with wood. Moved out of the folk's to a place with a standalone cast fireplace (not sure what to call it). In the colder weather I am only able to use it as supplemental heat. It is not airtight so it is running wide open all the time. I know I'm sending a lot of heat right out of the chimney but I have plenty of trees on the farm to use. On the upside I don't worry much about a flue fire! I plan on getting a new stove this summer. Started out with about a cord and a half and thought that would do me for most of the winter and I went trough it it under a month. Then my 86' pickup was murdered and I had to use my grandpas dodge for a few months before I bit the bullet and bought a '13 tacoma. Attached is my truck a few days after I got it with a load of oak.

This winter I mainly cut up a cord or so at a time of dead wood. Mostly red oak and elm. Next year I will have a bunch of shittier wood that came from fence rows and is seasoning now. Mostly mulberry and wild cherry but some locust, hedge, and maple.

I enjoy the hell of of heating with wood.
If you get a modern epa rated stove you'll be amazed how much less wood you use. Also locust is damn near the best wood you can burn, wicked dense and will burn nearly as long as seasoned oak.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #317

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you get a modern epa rated stove you'll be amazed how much less wood you use. Also locust is damn near the best wood you can burn, wicked dense and will burn nearly as long as seasoned oak.
Madrone is the best firewood there is
Old 09-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #318

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Damn , it's almost woodstove time of year again
Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #319

Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Madrone is the best firewood there is
Hmmmm, we need a hedge (osage orange) VS madrone showdown
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM   #320

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airun View Post
Hmmmm, we need a hedge (osage orange) VS madrone showdown
Shipping might cost a bit , lol

Products Discussed in this Thread