Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #21
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor004 View Post
Starting to see the temps dip a little...

Last year I bought some kiln-dried hardwood that burnt better then anything I've ever used. Little more expensive but I think the heat output and convenience factor helps. I have a Jotul Firelight.

Has anyone tried the biobricks?
Kiln dried firewood ?

How much did that cost per cord ?

Down to 5C last night

Are the biobricks the coffee grounds ones ?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:33 PM   #22
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Kiln dried firewood ?

How much did that cost per cord ?

Down to 5C last night

Are the biobricks the coffee grounds ones ?
The kiln-dried here goes for $280/cord delivered if I order in increments of 3 cords (increases to $320/cord if less)... Seasoned averages about $250/cord.

Stats copied from the website on the biobricks:
100% White Oak, contain no additive
1 pallet is equivalent to a full cord of firewood
Contains less than 1% ash
Produces less smoke and creosote than firewood
Clean and easy to store
Burns hotter and longer than softwood bricks, 8 to 10 hours

At what temp do you fire up the woodstove? I find I don't like lighting it until it get's much colder since it will drive us out of the house if we want to keep a constant 'clean' burn.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #23
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #24
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
So the biobricks are most likely a manufacturing byproduct

We will probably start using the woodstove in the next few weeks , soon as it starts freezing at night
Old 09-11-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Heat the cottage with wood. Probably wont be up much this year so didnt split any. However, in preperation for next year I bought a new chainsaw to cut wood. Will have to take pics of the stoves and splitter next time I go. We also have a wood burning sauna there as well.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #26
hillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shedhillbillynwv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hillbillynwv's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Napoleon wood stove (made in Canada) that I use to heat my house. It's the model 1100C. It's only a medium sized stove but it throws out the heat. I burn about 3.5 cords a year.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:52 PM   #27
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Here's mine. Wood/coal stove.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
I certainly enjoy the heat from my wood burners but not sure I enjoy everything that goes along with it... cutting wood is fun (Stihl w/bow bar) but using a splitting maul & stacking a couple cords each year isn't high on my fun list. It's all worth it when comparing the heat a Heat Pump puts out vs. the wood heat. Here are my wood burners:
Living Room

Basement

I seldom use the Living Room stove anymore as it heats the living/dining room fine but the bedrooms are at the far end of my house and they won't hardly warm up. So what I started doing several years ago is use the Basement stove to heat the basement and the heat radiates throughout the house and it stays evenly heated. To enhance heat circulation I'll turn the Heat Pump on and since I have an air return in the basement it sucks the heat from the basement and cirulates it then shuts off after a few minutes. My electric bill is a little higher than using wood heat solely but the bedrooms above the main floor stay more comfortable.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 AM   #29
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Looking into those biobricks and they are giving away a free pallet of them.

http://originalbiobricks.com/
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #30
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Looking into those biobricks and they are giving away a free pallet of them.

http://originalbiobricks.com/
Awesome...those are the same. Very interested in trying them in the woodstove since they are competitive in price and have no mess.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:00 AM   #31

Marines:
Seems they are only avaiable in New England states.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #32
jester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjester156 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jester156's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to jester156
my brother in law has used the biobricks for a few years. They are clean and provide good heat. He was running them in an insert in their old house and now have a cast iron stove that he will also burn a few in through out the day. they seem to last a bit longer than wood so he doesn't have to tend the stove as often.
And yes, he IS in New England.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #33

Marines:
I imagine it will be a few years before they "migrate" further south.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #34
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
very nice Oz! You live in paradise... I burn wood at my off-grid cabin. I do my wood cutting in the winter and trailer haul it by snowmobile. There is no buying or delivering happening out there, it is inaccessable by road. I have been considering installing a stove for my house for years, but haven't yet. Wood indeed provides a nice quality of heat.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #35
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapcinq View Post
Heat the cottage with wood. Probably wont be up much this year so didnt split any. However, in preperation for next year I bought a new chainsaw to cut wood. Will have to take pics of the stoves and splitter next time I go. We also have a wood burning sauna there as well.

STIHL . I love mine
Old 09-12-2012, 07:31 AM   #36
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
I use a wood stove alot up at my cabin in the winter, we have electric heat also, but we keep it set low just to keep pipes from freezing while not there, and then fire up the stove when we get there. It does run you out of there after a while, Have to open some windows.

Question for you guys who use it all winter, do you have the chimney cleaned every year? Before or after the season?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:45 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEVON911 View Post
I use a wood stove alot up at my cabin in the winter, we have electric heat also, but we keep it set low just to keep pipes from freezing while not there, and then fire up the stove when we get there. It does run you out of there after a while, Have to open some windows.

Question for you guys who use it all winter, do you have the chimney cleaned every year? Before or after the season?
I clean mine once a year at the beginning of the season - I did it 2x last year because some of the wood I bought was really bad.

Note: I also clean it myself...
Old 09-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #38
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor004 View Post
I clean mine once a year at the beginning of the season - I did it 2x last year because some of the wood I bought was really bad.

Note: I also clean it myself...
Oh, nice, How do you go about that? I don't know what is needed to do it .
Old 09-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #39

Marines:
Get a stove pipe brush and some rods. I got mine at Lowes fairly cheap. I have a stainless, triple walled flue and clean it before the season.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #40
Teniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to beholdTeniente is a splendid one to behold

Army: CPT, MI, USAR (Ret)
Teniente's Tacoma Gallery
Pellet Stove

Ditched our wood stove for a pellet stove about 10 years ago. the pellet stove has a glass front so we get the flames.

Pellets are cleaner than wood to store and use. We burn about 1 1/2 tons per winter. Pellets come in 40 lb bags, 1 ton to the pallet. Costs about $225 a ton at COSTCO. Load one bag in the hopper and adjust the heat. Will burn for about 2 full days.

I can get it warm enough that my wife has to open the front door to cool off

Products Discussed in this Thread