Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-15-2013, 05:15 AM   #381
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizo View Post
Very nice! I restored two Husqvarna 365's (an '02 Special and '12 X-Torque) this summer that had been run with watery straight gas for two tanks before they both had piston failures. While they're trying to reduce the number of tools you need for field service I still find I need 6+ separate tools in the bush which I inevitably loose.

Where'd you pick that up? Looks like a Princess Auto deal?

My girlfriend said to tell you that she likes your Chevy. She's always had a soft spot for the old Shortbed Stepside's.
It's a pretty sharp little truck.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 AM   #382
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle07 View Post
I promised some pictures of my wood wagon . For the wagon I took an old hay rack and made removable sides. I do most of my cutting in fence rows so I wanted something I could drag out to where I am cutting and leave until it is full. In the pictures the wagon has some mulberry on it that was blown down into a week old soybean field. Soybeans came out recently, time to get the wood. Talk about miserable sawing though. Cutting while wearing an extra 10lbs of mud on your feet and trying to avoid crushing anymore soybeans than have been already and it is hot a humid out.
Haha , that thing is great
Old 10-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #383
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I lit my first fire of the season last night. Just a small one, 1 regular split and a couple of small odd ball shaped pieces. I already know my wood this year's better than last, it's all at least 2 years old now. Last year I had to use stuff I actually had to pay for, supposedly "seasoned" but it didnt' burn well and I had a ton O creosote build up.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:29 AM   #385
motorcycle07 is on a distinguished road
motorcycle07's Tacoma Gallery
Yep yep, I have been burning off and on for two weeks now. We had some light valley frost two nights ago.

On a different note I was thinking of seeing what everyone thought the best smelling wood is when burnt. I am partial to red elm but wild cherry is good also. I thought about creating a poll, but it seemed there are too few wood burners to justify a separate thread.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #386
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Same here. I lit the old cookstove on Sunday AM because it was 60 degrees in the house. At that point, listening to the girlfriend complain outweighs my desire to show off my awesome sweater collection.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #387
Dizo is on a distinguished road
Name: Oliver
Dizo's Tacoma Gallery
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
My girlfriend said to tell you that she likes your Chevy. She's always had a soft spot for the old Shortbed Stepside's.
It's a pretty sharp little truck.
Not my truck - it's my fathers. All original one owner, still carries the dirtbikes to the trails though.
I've got a Taco of course.
Old 10-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizo View Post
Not my truck - it's my fathers. All original one owner, still carries the dirtbikes to the trails though.
I've got a Taco of course.
Still a nice looking truck, regardless.
It's no Tacoma, but not bad for a 30 year old Chevy!
Old 10-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #389
Yota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of lightYota1 is a glorious beacon of light

Yota1's Tacoma Gallery
I Burn about 5 cords in a jotel, basically I have a fire 24 hours a day, sometimes down to a few hot coals, but the stove never gets cold. I have a 1920's craftsman bungled with very drafty windows, zero insulation and live in central mass, outside worcester in the hills. Colder usually by 5-10* then most if the stat except far west! and the elevation brings more snow.

I have a Stihl 361 with a 20 inch bar and several axes. I can usually find a cord or 2 for nothing other than labor, but lately found an awesome supplier. Splits for me into a rollback, no dirt or extra bark. Clean and dry. Cheap too. My back is fubar, and time us money, so this is great for me.

I leave a large box fan accross the room to move the heat. I also have 4 quart pan on the stove top I fill several times a day if water for added moisture.

Just cleaned my liner and stove, 6 cords covered and dry, ready to go.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #390
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Never turn down free firewood , that's my motto , haha
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 PM   #391
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yota1 View Post
I Burn about 5 cords in a jotel, basically I have a fire 24 hours a day, sometimes down to a few hot coals, but the stove never gets cold. I have a 1920's craftsman bungled with very drafty windows, zero insulation and live in central mass, outside worcester in the hills. Colder usually by 5-10* then most if the stat except far west! and the elevation brings more snow.

I have a Stihl 361 with a 20 inch bar and several axes. I can usually find a cord or 2 for nothing other than labor, but lately found an awesome supplier. Splits for me into a rollback, no dirt or extra bark. Clean and dry. Cheap too. My back is fubar, and time us money, so this is great for me.

I leave a large box fan accross the room to move the heat. I also have 4 quart pan on the stove top I fill several times a day if water for added moisture.

Just cleaned my liner and stove, 6 cords covered and dry, ready to go.
Mine's the same way. Once it gets down below freezing all the time, the cellar monster gets lit and it doesn't go out again until usually March.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #393

Lit the cookstove this afternoon; we're roasting sunflower seeds in the oven on it right now. And all the windows are wide open, haha. When it's only 50 degrees out, it doesn't take long to spike the thermostat in the house past 80.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #394

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Cleaned the chimney and woodstove pipe while it was sunny today

Damn alder makes a lot of ash
Old 10-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #395
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery

Locust and Maple, just getting it going. Love this stove! 13 year old Lopi Endeavor. This year I replaced the perforated tubes, and all the cracked bricks.

With the new parts in the stove, and all the work on the house this year, (there is insulation now!), I'm hoping on cutting down on the 14-16 face we burn each winter!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #396
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post

I'm hoping on cutting down on the 14-16 face we burn each winter!
Thats a lot of wood.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:38 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarroll View Post
Thats a lot of wood.
15 face cord works out to 5 standard cord, if the wood's cut to 16"
Still a lot of wood, but not a ridiculous amount. I burn roughly 4 cord per year, heating my 2200 square foot house. More than I'd like, but if it means I'm not burning oil, than it's worth it.

My grandmother's house was built before the civil war; when I was a kid she'd burn 4-5 tons of coal per year, plus around 12 cord of wood. Of course, she was the traditional little old lady, whose house is always 80 degrees. She had the wood furnace running full bore all the time, and the coal stove in the parlor (a mid-80's Russo w/blower) running almost constantly as well.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:25 AM   #398
mccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shedmccarroll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

mccarroll's Tacoma Gallery
Ahh, thats more like it. I never noticed the "face"
Old 10-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #399
NORTHERN RED-NECK
udy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shedudy2554 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
udy2554's Tacoma Gallery
Old (1830's) farmhouse with minimal insulation, 6' slider, 6' French door, and a double rollout window! Redid the roof and rear wall of the house over the summer! Nice and toasty now!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy2554 View Post
Old (1830's) farmhouse with minimal insulation, 6' slider, 6' French door, and a double rollout window! Redid the roof and rear wall of the house over the summer! Nice and toasty now!
I remember when we tore the interior apart on her house and reinsulated, replumbed and rewired it for her (I was about 12 at the time) we were pulling rolled up newspapers out of the walls. Apparently that was a 30's trick to insulate a drafty house.
Fiberglass works a lot better. After we redid the insulation she used about half the wood and less than a ton of coal.

Products Discussed in this Thread