Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #921
I'm a man..But I can Change..If I have to..I guess
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wedding Vegetables
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My FIL's old man branch firewood stash , haha

Damn... That's a lot of limb wood...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #922
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a load I brought home yesterday. I've been cutting tops 2-4 times a week off of some logged property now for about a month and have quite a bit of wood going into next year but I need to start splitting and stacking so I have room to get more wood.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #923
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
[

Load #3 from what Dad lost in the ice storm.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #924
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really considering getting rid of my propane stove and purchasing a wood stove for our main level.

Getting wood is no issue at all. I'm still young and full of energy and my 10 year old is a great helper. I live probably 5 minutes or less to allowed cutting areas and many people sell firewood around here.

The propane is an ok heat source but can take two or more weeks to get delivered. I always have to monitor the tank level. We have to pay a yearly tank rental from the company (not allowed to simply purchase the tank for some reason). We have no thermostat on the propane stove and cannot leave the thing running all night.

My primary source of heat is oil. It's pretty expensive so I really think the wood heat will cut down on this cost.

Do you think its a good idea to ditch my propane stove and get the wood stove? It's a pretty hard decision. I never really looked at the full price (stove and installation cost) I'm guessing it won't be more then 4k.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #925
near the Tannhauser Gate
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What about a chimney and hearth / fire protection , that stuff all costs money
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #926
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that's true. I'll probably go to a few places and get some quotes and go from there
Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #927
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
Presumably there is a switch to turn the propane stove on/off. Based on that, it would be pretty easy to wire in a mechanical thermostat to control the stove. All you need is some 2 conductor cable from the existing switch to the new mechanical thermostat and wire it in parallel so you can still turn it on/off or let the tstat take care of it. In 20 years will you still enjoy getting firewood, maintaining the chimney, storing firewood, etc? Also,from having propane delivered, you should be able to set up to having regular deliveries, i.e. quarterly, or monthly rather than calling for service.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #928
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Oz, I forgot to ask, did the storms over the last few weeks hit you?
Old 08-11-2014, 09:36 AM   #929
near the Tannhauser Gate
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smar969905 View Post
Oz, I forgot to ask, did the storms over the last few weeks hit you?

No

It's been a heat wave ( hot for here , 90F + ) and hasn't rained in 2 months
Old 08-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #930
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Firewood shed. Why just build something when you can overbuild it?

It'll look better after I finish painting the trim to match the house.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:47 PM   #932
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
thanks.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:11 AM   #933
ToyotaLover

Care to build one at my house too? I might need it a little bigger than that though.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #934
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Painted and loaded. After moving all that heavy firewood, I concluded it's not as "overbuilt" as I thought. In fact I found myself thinking "maybe I should have used 1" plywood for the the floor instead of just 3/4" inch..."

It's filled with 228 cubic feet of stacked wood - nearly two full cords. At the rate I use firewood - this may last ten years.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #935
I'm a man..But I can Change..If I have to..I guess
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wedding Vegetables
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Painted and loaded. After moving all that heavy firewood, I concluded it's not as "overbuilt" as I thought. In fact I found myself thinking "maybe I should have used 1" plywood for the the floor instead of just 3/4" inch..."

It's filled with 228 cubic feet of stacked wood - nearly two full cords. At the rate I use firewood - this may last ten years.

Well, it'll certainly be well-seasoned by then...
Old 08-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #936
near the Tannhauser Gate

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post

Looks awesome .

I wouldn't worry too much about it , one of my woodsheds is a rickety old thing with a 1/2" plywood floor on 2x6 joists that holds about the same amount of wood as yours , it's 18 years old this year
Old 08-18-2014, 09:13 AM   #937
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Some pics from the spring:

Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 AM   #938
Mapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapcinq is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery
Moar:

Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #939

Mapcinq's Tacoma Gallery

Old 08-18-2014, 09:23 AM   #940
ToyotaLover

What do you think about the fiskars splitting axe? I have been thinking about getting one but the $50+ price tag is steep to buy it on a guess

Products Discussed in this Thread