Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #921
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Nope. Never even heard of it before.
Bet it vibrates like a son of a gun, though, if it's a steel core with a plastic or fiberglass handle...
Says it's anti vibe

I use an anti vibe hammer that is similar construction
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #922
You don't frighten us, English pig dogs!
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Says it's anti vibe

I use an anti vibe hammer that is similar construction
Shrug.
I've got sledge that's steel core with a plastic handle and rubber grips that claims to be "anti-vibe" and it still vibrates.
I've got a Stanley hammer that's anti vibe and you can use it all day.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:05 AM   #923
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelie84 View Post
Shrug.

I've got sledge that's steel core with a plastic handle and rubber grips that claims to be "anti-vibe" and it still vibrates.

I've got a Stanley hammer that's anti vibe and you can use it all day.

I use the Stanley anti vibe hammer too
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #924
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I use the Stanley anti vibe hammer too
Mine's a ?Fat Max? or something like that, I think. Good unit.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #925
Do you know Tyler Durden?
FearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFearNothing321 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
FearNothing321's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/

Interesting concept
Old 04-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #926
motorcycle07 is on a distinguished road
motorcycle07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
humm.... where have I seen this before?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #927

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle07 View Post
humm.... where have I seen this before?
It does look kind of familiar...
Can't place where I've seen it though.

On an unrelated note; this seems like an interesting idea...
http://gizmodo.com/a-cleverly-curved...unya-512282113

Old 04-25-2014, 11:06 AM   #928
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
Smar969905's Tacoma Gallery
i have heard of wilton sledge hammers (at least i think it was wilton). they claim there is no more issue with overswing with them because of the steel core. a 12# sledge weighs closer to 20# though with the weight of the handle as i recall. take the same idea to a splitting maul, and theoretically have a stronger hit. if you are too far forward, and catch the top of the handle on the wood instead of the maul head, and these should hold up much better.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #930
ToyotaLover
Smar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmar969905 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I have my doors and windows open already. Temp was up to about 80 f (27c) and doing it again today.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #931
Bush Pusher
Hairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHairy Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Hairy Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNothing321 View Post
Another brilliant Scandinavian design
Old 05-20-2014, 11:06 PM   #932

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

My FIL's old man branch firewood stash , haha

Old 05-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #933

Quote:
My FIL's old man branch firewood stash , haha

Damn... That's a lot of limb wood...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:01 AM   #934
nomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shednomad_archer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Trevor
nomad_archer's Tacoma Gallery
Here is a load I brought home yesterday. I've been cutting tops 2-4 times a week off of some logged property now for about a month and have quite a bit of wood going into next year but I need to start splitting and stacking so I have room to get more wood.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #935
just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer
eastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shedeastcoastcowboy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
eastcoastcowboy's Tacoma Gallery
[

Load #3 from what Dad lost in the ice storm.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:26 AM   #936
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
I'm really considering getting rid of my propane stove and purchasing a wood stove for our main level.

Getting wood is no issue at all. I'm still young and full of energy and my 10 year old is a great helper. I live probably 5 minutes or less to allowed cutting areas and many people sell firewood around here.

The propane is an ok heat source but can take two or more weeks to get delivered. I always have to monitor the tank level. We have to pay a yearly tank rental from the company (not allowed to simply purchase the tank for some reason). We have no thermostat on the propane stove and cannot leave the thing running all night.

My primary source of heat is oil. It's pretty expensive so I really think the wood heat will cut down on this cost.

Do you think its a good idea to ditch my propane stove and get the wood stove? It's a pretty hard decision. I never really looked at the full price (stove and installation cost) I'm guessing it won't be more then 4k.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM   #937

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
What about a chimney and hearth / fire protection , that stuff all costs money
Old 08-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #938
Capita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shedCapita is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Capita's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah that's true. I'll probably go to a few places and get some quotes and go from there
Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #939
ToyotaLover

Presumably there is a switch to turn the propane stove on/off. Based on that, it would be pretty easy to wire in a mechanical thermostat to control the stove. All you need is some 2 conductor cable from the existing switch to the new mechanical thermostat and wire it in parallel so you can still turn it on/off or let the tstat take care of it. In 20 years will you still enjoy getting firewood, maintaining the chimney, storing firewood, etc? Also,from having propane delivered, you should be able to set up to having regular deliveries, i.e. quarterly, or monthly rather than calling for service.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:12 AM   #940
ToyotaLover

Oz, I forgot to ask, did the storms over the last few weeks hit you?

Products Discussed in this Thread