Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Wood Heat Thread ~ post pics

I was filling the woodshed today and thought it would be fun to see if anybody else enjoys wood heat and all that goes along with it like I do .
Old 09-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My storage area

About 7 cords total , Fir , Alder and Madrone ( Arbutus )

Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 PM   #3

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
This is my solution to local zoning that wouldn't allow me to build a woodshed here on the very edge of my property line

Scaffolding Woodshed

Old 09-02-2012, 10:00 PM   #4
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phuong
ppham444's Tacoma Gallery
Yeap, in the winter time, I throw a few of these in the fireplace.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppham444 View Post
How long a burn do you get from them ?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
ppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shedppham444 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4 hours....well, 3 good hours then the last hour is meehh.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #7

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
4 hours....well, 3 good hours then the last hour is meehh.
How much do they cost ?
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol
Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #10

They're like $2.75 a log, but if you go to their website, you can print off coupons. I'll buy like 3 boxes and that will last a winter. Of course I only burn one every few days just to enjoy the flames dancing in the fireplace.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 PM   #11
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice oz, my wife and I plan on wood heat when we build. It'll be a pain to try and out-do your 7 cords, but I'll do what I must.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
We have a wood stove in our house as well as a fire place. The dam stove will make you sweat while there's 6ft of snow outside
Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #13

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckcmdr View Post
Thats a nice pile right there.

I burn maybe 2 cords a year in the garage. I just hate splitting and stacking it.
Since i broke my back it takes a week to recover from it.
We burn about 2 cords a year in our house too , that wood storage area is in a back spot on my property , and I have a small woodshed by the house that I move about 2 cords into each year .

I can imagine it would be a terrible job with a bad back

Quote:
They're like $2.75 a log, but if you go to their website, you can print off coupons. I'll buy like 3 boxes and that will last a winter. Of course I only burn one every few days just to enjoy the flames dancing in the fireplace.
That price is compareable to here

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
Very nice oz, my wife and I plan on wood heat when we build. It'll be a pain to try and out-do your 7 cords, but I'll do what I must.
I love wood heat , we have 2 woodstoves in our house , one on the main floor and one in the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
We have a wood stove in our house as well as a fire place. The dam stove will make you sweat while there's 6ft of snow outside
Same here , you can over do it sometimes .

3' of snow outside and all the windows open , lol
Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
We burn about 2 cords a year in our house too , that wood storage area is in a back spot on my property , and I have a small woodshed by the house that I move about 2 cords into each year .

I can imagine it would be a terrible job with a bad back

That price is compareable to here

I love wood heat , we have 2 woodstoves in our house , one on the main floor and one in the basement

Same here , you can over do it sometimes .

3' of snow outside and all the windows open , lol
Yea the stove is in the smaller of the two living rooms too. Question, do you have to put a pot of water on the stove sometimes to help with the humidity? Sometimes, the air gets so dry its like you cant breathe, but the water helps a lot. May be ancient technique but thats what my grandfather did
Old 09-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #15

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Yea the stove is in the smaller of the two living rooms too. Question, do you have to put a pot of water on the stove sometimes to help with the humidity? Sometimes, the air gets so dry its like you cant breathe, but the water helps a lot. May be ancient technique but thats what my grandfather did
No , my house is literally 75' from the ocean , we have no humidity issues
Old 09-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
i like it much better. but mom and dad do not. and it their house really. so ya. but i will heat when i have my own house.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #17
aka Frank Gallagher...

Law Enforcement:
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
No , my house is literally 75' from the ocean , we have no humidity issues
Oh gotcha yea we're up about 6500 ft. Dry, dry..
Old 09-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #19

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I'm a happy man today , woodshed by the house has 2 cords of seasoned Fir and Madrone / Arbutus mix , plus about 1/2 cord of kiln dried lumber scraps for beginning and end of season

Bring on winter , I'm ready
Old 09-11-2012, 12:12 PM   #20
hellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhellrazor004 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
hellrazor004's Tacoma Gallery
Starting to see the temps dip a little...

Last year I bought some kiln-dried hardwood that burnt better then anything I've ever used. Little more expensive but I think the heat output and convenience factor helps. I have a Jotul Firelight.

Has anyone tried the biobricks?

Products Discussed in this Thread