Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Garage & Workshop BS Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
Garage & Workshop BS Thread

OK guys I did a search to see if this existed already and from what I can see is only the show off your garage thread.

The purpose of this thread is to talk anything and everything garage and workshop related.

I Just moved into a new home and have a completely empty garage and I need to fill it with shelves, storage, lift etc.

So I will kick things off by saying im looking at getting a shelving system first and foremost to clear up some of the clutter so i have more room to work on my truck regularly. Its a 3 gar oversized garage. Im debating if I should make my own shelves out of wood or bite the bullet and but some metal ones from Lowes etc. What kind of shelves are you guys running and what kind of deals have you seen out there?

Hopefully this thread catches on, might be a good place for people to get some good ideas!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bump! Good place to post pics of new additions to the garage and workshop as well!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I bought some of the shelving units in the past from Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which) and I'm not in the same situation as yourself. I recently purchased a house and have a basement and garage to organize. I only have a single car garage so organization is going to be huge. I still have the old shelving that I purchased but I will not purchase any more. I plan to build shelving to fit, maximizing my usable space and built in cubbies to better suit my needs. If you have the room, those shelving units are nice but for tighter spaces, I feel like they restrict you a bit if you're trying to make the most out of your floor space. I just started drawing up plans and can post up my results when I finally get to building. Mine will be pretty rough using mostly 2x4s for the frame and either slats or plywood for the shelving.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I bought some of the shelving units in the past from Lowes or Home Depot (can't remember which) and I'm not in the same situation as yourself. I recently purchased a house and have a basement and garage to organize. I only have a single car garage so organization is going to be huge. I still have the old shelving that I purchased but I will not purchase any more. I plan to build shelving to fit, maximizing my usable space and built in cubbies to better suit my needs. If you have the room, those shelving units are nice but for tighter spaces, I feel like they restrict you a bit if you're trying to make the most out of your floor space. I just started drawing up plans and can post up my results when I finally get to building. Mine will be pretty rough using mostly 2x4s for the frame and either slats or plywood for the shelving.
One of my buddies made some awesome plywood and 2x4 shelves. Im seriously considering it. It would be awesome to see what you come up with for design for strength, I guess thats my biggest concern going with plywood.

Im currently renting this house but after the first year I want to try to buy it from the owner. So anything I do has to be reversible.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tostidos View Post
One of my buddies made some awesome plywood and 2x4 shelves. Im seriously considering it. It would be awesome to see what you come up with for design for strength, I guess thats my biggest concern going with plywood.

Im currently renting this house but after the first year I want to try to buy it from the owner. So anything I do has to be reversible.
The way I build things, my shelving will be stronger than the big box store stuff Unfortunately it will also be heavier and not easily torn down so it'll have to be built in place.

For the shelving that will hold heavier items, I'd use 3/4" plywood screwed to the 2x4 frame. For the shelves that will just hold loose lumber, they'll be a lot lighter but will be gussetted to prevent side to side sway.

We also renovated the kitchen when we moved in so I salvaged some of the old cabinetry. I plan to incorporate them into the overall layout to house some of the lighter tools/fasteners/etc.

It looks great in my head, I'll post up the final results once I finally get to it!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
i built custom shelves myself, out of select pine and hardwood plywood... after looking at shelving solutions in stores, i decided to do it myself, because it would give it a more "built-in" look... i made the shelf supports myself as well... definitely looks unique
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
My home has a nice workbench from the previous owner, but I also bought a set of 2'D x 4'W x 6'H melamine shelving with metal frame. The set was like $50 from Menards and is sturdy and very heavy. This one I think:

http://www.menards.com/main/storage-...27-c-12652.htm

Here's what my bench looks like a lot of the time. I use it mainly for gunsmithing and reloading.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #8
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery

sub'd for ideas
Old 09-18-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my "Storage Solutions" I've built in my garage.

It's a constant project, moving things around and adding and removing things.

All built all from scratch.

I probably have about $350 in those cabinets. The two tall ones are 2'W X 8'T X 1'D. Did that on purpose to minimize scrap. The middle ones are 30 something inches wide each.

The overhead storage platforms are all 2x4's and 3/8" sheathing (Cheapest aside from OSB). Dimensions: 4'X8' and 2'X8'. Probably have $200ish in materials in the platforms.

Since these pics were taken, My fiancee and I have purchased two kayaks so I also added two kayak hoists to hoist my 12' yak and her 10' yak.

I'm about to have to start thinking about renting a storage unit. My landscaping business has been expanding over the last couple years and I'm purchasing more equipment each year. Over the winter I'll be adding another (brand new) 36" Walk Behind mower, a 50 Gallon skid sprayer for Fert & Weed control applications, a Reel mower for my yard, and an extra 21" mower. I've also added this year: a new string trimmer, edger, hedge trimmers, a lesco spreader, and an extra backpack sprayer. So... as you can tell, I'm running out of space.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #10
theredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheredofshaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: AM1
Name: John
theredofshaw's Tacoma Gallery
I like your overhead storage idea above the garage door...might have to look into that one...lol
Old 09-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

^^ Good looking garage! I like the overhead shelving as well. I'm renting my home right now and plan on shooting the owner an offer towards the end of my stay. So for now I want something than can be removed.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
...why yes, i did build that...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #14
Johnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohnnie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Johnnie's Tacoma Gallery
Go to this website. Everything about garages and tools.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looking to get my dad a retractable air hose for Christmas for his shop. Anyone have any good brands that I should look at?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I had this idea for a thread today. Didn't know if one existed. I like the shelve idea. My garage is small and I need all the ideas possible, it stays a mess because I don't have enough room. Would like to see this thread take off for more ideas.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
I had this idea for a thread today. Didn't know if one existed. I like the shelve idea. My garage is small and I need all the ideas possible, it stays a mess because I don't have enough room. Would like to see this thread take off for more ideas.
X2!

Im still in the market for shelves as well. I was thinking about the Home Depot heavy duty metal rack shelves myself
Old 02-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #18
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Here are my cabinets. I found a guy on CL to do them. Then I added Ikea handles to finish them off. They are 24" deep and they are 16' long. This is an old picture.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #19
Cuz Stock Sucks
amaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shedamaes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
amaes's Tacoma Gallery
Set up my compressor a few weeks ago and everything has been so much fast with air tools.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Here are my cabinets. I found a guy on CL to do them. Then I added Ikea handles to finish them off. They are 24" deep and they are 16' long. This is an old picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaes View Post
Set up my compressor a few weeks ago and everything has been so much fast with air tools.

Very nice!