Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Convert broken 20 gal compressor into portable air tank.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
highflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to all

Name: Justin
highflyinmechanic's Tacoma Gallery
Convert broken 20 gal compressor into portable air tank.

So I have a Craftsman 20 gal vertical air compressor that decided to break on me a few months ago. I checked into buying a new oil-less motor for it but honestly it costs about the same as what the compressor was brand new. I was thinking of trying to just remove the motor and make a portable air tank out of it, and just fill it up with a smaller air compressor so I would have a larger quantity of air to use in my garage without spending a lot of money on a larger 60 gal etc..... I dont wanna just throw it out at the dump but its pretty useless as it sits in my garage.
Has anyone ever converted a broken compressor into a air holding tank by removing the motor and plugging it and installing a shrader valve or something?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know if I'd go with a schrader valve. That'd take forever to fill.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
highflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to allhighflyinmechanic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
yeah thats true didnt think about that lol
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
clarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shedclarkie152 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SE Mass police department
clarkie152's Tacoma Gallery
You also dont want too much air, just sitting around. The moisture in the air will eat away at the tank. Do you have a need for a spare tank? When / how often are you gonna need that much air?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkie152 View Post
You also dont want too much air, just sitting around. The moisture in the air will eat away at the tank. Do you have a need for a spare tank? When / how often are you gonna need that much air?
Not often but would be nice to have when I need it for home projects and such.

Mainly to use pneumatic tools such as an angle grinder, air hammer, impact gun, air ratchet etc..
Old 02-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #6
Bistineau is on a distinguished road
Bistineau's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
What I have done is to install a 1/4" female quick connect fitting and then screw two of the mating male fittings together for filling. Just plug the air hose from the compressor in to the male fittings and plug that into the portable tank, let the compressor run till it shuts off. If the tank has more than 1 threaded opening, you can install 2 of the female quick connects hooked up as explained above and use the other female for your outlet hose to increase the volume capacity of your air set up. If you need it portable, charge it up, unhook the hoses and go with it.(take one of the hoses to use when you get there). Hooked up like this you get the added volume of that tank without having to buy another air compressor with a bigger tank.
If you don't want a portable air tank, bring it to me and I can turn it into a BBQ pit for ya.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
harbor freight has air compressors for 99 bux......small 3 gallon one....take the motor off that and put it on your 20 gal or try craigslist
Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
http://www.harborfreight.com/portabl...kuOTkifQ%3D%3D
Old 02-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Taco Fighter View Post
harbor freight has air compressors for 99 bux......small 3 gallon one....take the motor off that and put it on your 20 gal or try craigslist
Wouldnt that burn out the engine? Especially one from harbor freight
Old 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Firefighter:
nah 2hp motor will take a lil longer to fill thatt all
Old 04-13-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
With compressors the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" applies.
More tank storage is what you want. The capacity is essential for tools like air sanders and spraying.
Next is recovery time ... Or the bigger compressor ( multiple cylinders) the quicker the refill, and a larger motor to drive it.

So using your tank as additional storage is a good idea, however you would need to plumb it appropriately for the pressure. Where the idea falls down a bit is the extra runtime to fill both tanks. If you buy a smaller compressor, it will be sized to fill a smaller tank. The runtime to refill will likely be annoying.

As a portable 'air pig' it's a bit large, but that's an idea too.