1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Hi-Lift Jack Question

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by alexretama, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:10 PM
    alexretama

alexretama [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    I went out and bought a Hi-lift jack today and I noticed that when I push The reversing switch into the down position, it pulls both rods out and the lifting nose plummets to its death... Not something I want to happen with my truck on there.... Would it be different with a load???? Input is much appreciated.

2. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:14 PM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Yes, that only happens with no weight and the handle in the upright position.

3. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:20 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Thank goodness.. Tomorrow I'm going to have to lift up a Dodge on jack stands and swap the wheels for a Method photo shoot.. Apperantly its 100k worth of truck that im gonna be driving:D

4. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:21 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Mine has to have no load and then be pulled up slightly for it to drop completely.
    I believe that's exactly how it should work.

Is yours like that or does it just fall once you flip the switch with no load?

5. Sep 24, 2012 at 10:38 PM
    amadougrand

amadougrand Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Be careful for sure. A handyman jack is nothing to trust in any circumstance. If not a recovery situation and critical lift get a bottle jack or floor jack. Especially with 100k of vehicle

6. Sep 24, 2012 at 11:02 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    In my experience, if the handle is all the way up then the bottom pin is in place and remains in place when you flip the reverse lever and that pin stays until you lift up and completely remove any weight from the pin, then it falls. Also, if you have any more than 150 lbs (I think that's the number from the manual) then it won't fall and you lower it back down like normal. There are a fair number of youtube vids about any type of Hi-lift jacking.
    Oh, and be sure to lube the pins up with something. I asked some guys at the shop where I got mine and they said that you can lube it up with WD-40, so now I carry a can any time I go off-roading and keep a few small cans in the truck at all times just in case.
    Bill Burke has a video about prepping a hi-lift on youtube. He recommended to scrape away the paint that might interfere with the climbing handle because it will chip away and you might have paint flakes causing problems with the pins. You might want to look into that if you're concerned, but I've never had a problem.
    Hope that helps. :)

7. Sep 24, 2012 at 11:07 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    Definitely know how to use it and how it feels before you actually use it, which is kinda true for a lot of things.
    I practiced with mine in an open parking lot to feel what kind of weight goes on it and to practice with the lowering. If something went wrong because of operator error then I was really close to medical help and my truck wasn't broken on some trail, it was broken in a towable place and it wasn't the end of the world.

8. Sep 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM
    alexretama

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Long Beach, CA
    Thanks errbody:thumbsup:

I couldnt find a floor or bottle jack with a long enough stroke to get this bad boy onto stands(the guy specifically ask me not to jack it up by anywhere besides the frame or bumpers) but the farm jack ended up working like a charm!!Here she is

securedownload-4-1_47ab261b47d4218a679abd6be23075efd811519a.jpg:drool::drool::drool:

Products Discussed in

To Top