Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

heat-n-glo gas fireplaces...

Old 09-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
heat-n-glo gas fireplaces...

...good, bad, ugly?...

this is the brand sold locally, thinking of getting my old fireplace replaced w/ new one... right now looking at a slimline series.. is heat-n-glo a good manufacturer?, ...good product?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
get a wood burning stove insert
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
get a wood burning stove insert
...wouldn't go right w/ the rest of the place... already plumbed for gas, and direct vent...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
puckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpuckstopper55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

puckstopper55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
...wouldn't go right w/ the rest of the place... already plumbed for gas, and direct vent...
in that case, turn it into an indoor bbq!
Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #5

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckstopper55 View Post
in that case, turn it into an indoor bbq!
i may be an 'merican, as some here like to say, ...but i have limits
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
www.salexorganizers.com
salex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Todd
salex's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about the slimline series but I installed a Heat-n-glow Grand XT in my place in the mountians. It looks great and pumps out enough BTUs to heat a 1200sf 3 floor condo. I only use the electric heat when it gets below zero. I run it of a remote thermostat so it cylcles on and off when I am not there. I've had it for 4 years now.

That said, I had a friend at work that bought a Heat-n-Glow last fall and he had nothing but problems. It was the first year of a redesign. It was so bad he had the dealer replace it with another brand. See if you can find some online reviews. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 PM   #7

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by salex View Post
I don't know about the slimline series but I installed a Heat-n-glow Grand XT in my place in the mountians. It looks great and pumps out enough BTUs to heat a 1200sf 3 floor condo. I only use the electric heat when it gets below zero. I run it of a remote thermostat so it cylcles on and off when I am not there. I've had it for 4 years now.

That said, I had a friend at work that bought a Heat-n-Glow last fall and he had nothing but problems. It was the first year of a redesign. It was so bad he had the dealer replace it with another brand. See if you can find some online reviews. Good luck!
yep, the one i'd probably be going w/ would be the slimline sl-750trs and maybe the chateau deluxe front... supposedly ranges between 20,200-30,800 btu/hr... plus the trs has ceramic glass instead of tempered glass, and has the refractory back panels... my place is a two story condo 1400 sq. ft. i think... didn't see much of reviews, but you mention there was a redesign recently... did your friend have problems w/ the valve, burner, or blower?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
www.salexorganizers.com
salex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedsalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
salex's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is the 23000-35000 BTU with the brick looking refratory panels. My friend was having problems with the newly designed electronic controls working the valve and blower. I would expect Heat-n-Glo to have things corrected at this point that was fall of 2010. Ask your dealer what he knows and will he guarantee product and work.

Quote:
yep, the one i'd probably be going w/ would be the slimline sl-750trs and maybe the chateau deluxe front... supposedly ranges between 20,200-30,800 btu/hr... plus the trs has ceramic glass instead of tempered glass, and has the refractory back panels... my place is a two story condo 1400 sq. ft. i think... didn't see much of reviews, but you mention there was a redesign recently... did your friend have problems w/ the valve, burner, or blower?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #9

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mine is the 23000-35000 BTU with the brick looking refratory panels. My friend was having problems with the newly designed electronic controls working the valve and blower. I would expect Heat-n-Glo to have things corrected at this point that was fall of 2010. Ask your dealer what he knows and will he guarantee product and work.
thanks for the info... i will ask the dealer about that to "test" them a bit... now they have the "intellifire" system that ignites the pilot automatically prior to igniting the burner, so you don't have a continuously running pilot... maybe that's what was new.... how do you like the refractory panels?... wondering if it's worth getting them...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
www.salexorganizers.com
salex's Tacoma Gallery
The "intellifire" sounds familiar, I had not heard him call it by that name. I remember his pilot and/or valve weren't working together. My pilot stays on all the time. It might cost $5 a month when we don't use it.

The refractory panels are worth the extra $. They reflect the light from the flames much better. They also reflect the heat into the room. I have some cheapie builder brand in my house that has a boring black sheet metal box instead of the nice brick refractory and the heat goes into the wall. The showroom might have one with and one without to compare.

Quote:
thanks for the info... i will ask the dealer about that to "test" them a bit... now they have the "intellifire" system that ignites the pilot automatically prior to igniting the burner, so you don't have a continuously running pilot... maybe that's what was new.... how do you like the refractory panels?... wondering if it's worth getting them...
Old 10-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #11

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The "intellifire" sounds familiar, I had not heard him call it by that name. I remember his pilot and/or valve weren't working together. My pilot stays on all the time. It might cost $5 a month when we don't use it.

The refractory panels are worth the extra $. They reflect the light from the flames much better. They also reflect the heat into the room. I have some cheapie builder brand in my house that has a boring black sheet metal box instead of the nice brick refractory and the heat goes into the wall. The showroom might have one with and one without to compare.
thanks, yes, this reassures me that the refractory panels is worth the money - better look and becuase they add functionality!