Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Geode's plumbing build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #21
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
I think I understand. You can use the fiberglass insulated duct for that area to offset the pipes.
Makes sense, thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:17 AM   #22
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
And if ya use pex,you can make it fit better,easier than copper.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #23
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And if ya use pex,you can make it fit better,easier than copper.
Next time, I promise
Old 10-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #24

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Drip pan

What material do you prefer for drip pans, plastic, aluminum etc?
Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Aluminum. Plastic is crap. It'll cook up brittle by the time its needed and leak.

One thing I try to get people to install at water heaters in out of sight places is a WAGS valve.It's a sacrificial valve but will shut off water in case of a bad leak.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #26

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Aluminum. Plastic is crap. It'll cook up brittle by the time its needed and leak.

One thing I try to get people to install at water heaters in out of sight places is a WAGS valve.It's a sacrificial valve but will shut off water in case of a bad leak.
Thanks, that wags is pretty cool, Ill keep it in mind as things move forward.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
Thanks, that wags is pretty cool, Ill keep it in mind as things move forward.
No prob. There are cheaper alternatives. May depend on where ya are.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #28

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
3 1/2 weeks later

I've been keeping my fresh concrete wet solidly for the last three plus weeks.
I think it turned out pretty well, the pictures don't do it justice. I'm hoping to have the new water heater installed on top of it in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02671.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02673.jpg  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #29
dont tread on me!

Looks cool.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #30

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
The concrete support for the water heater is looking good. Next up was to prepare the floor joists for running new copper water lines through.

Turns out that my floor joists needed some help. Folks from long ago had taken out large chunks of the joists for running plumbing etc through. So I wanted to return some strength to these joists prior to drilling holes for me new copper lines. My favorite hack was under the bathtub. I ended up re doing the bathtub plumbing, as it was leaking anyway. Then I jacked up the joists straight (+ a little extra)one at a time and screwed and glued 8' long strips of MDO to each side. The detail is not clear, but you can see how the toilet drain passed through an existing joist, requiring removal of a large section of the floor joist. I rerouted the drain around the joist and glued and screwed a 2" x 8" x 12' long board to strengthen it up. The toughest part of this work is that I have to keep my plumbing operational

In the future all the drains and vents will be re done properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02624-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02633-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02635-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02760-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02761-large-.jpg  

Geode's plumbing build-dsc02765-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02778-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02784-large-.jpg  
Old 12-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #32
dont tread on me!

Good job on floor repair. The floor under tub was hacked bad! Question . How far is the vent from trap,for the tub? I don't see a vent in pic for tub.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #33

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good job on floor repair. The floor under tub was hacked bad! Question . How far is the vent from trap,for the tub? I don't see a vent in pic for tub.
There is only 1 vent for the entire house (bathroom group and the kitchen drain). Pretty much everything in the house is questionable (I'm working on it). I spent the first 6 months tearing out and replacing knob and tube wiring.

I do have traps on every fixture (bathtub/shower/vanity sink and kitchen sink).

The bathroom group is about 6' away from the main vent/stack. I will post up a small video showing where everything is. The drain/vent system appears to have been working correctly for the most part for many years. We rented for 12 years and bought the house in 08'.

Long term plan is to install full basement bathroom with injection pit and its own drain vent system. Then cut out the upstairs bathroom and re do all the drains/vents and stack through the roof.

I've repaired most all of the floor joists that were clearly undermined. Can't wait to move on
Old 12-23-2012, 02:54 AM   #34

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the questions on the venting, I'll post up clearer information on it. I look forward to learning a bit more of how these systems function, or not as may be the case.
Old 12-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #35

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be running hot and cold lines through my floor joists. Provided I stay within the middle third of the joist, would it be ok to run the hot and cold at different depths within the joist? There are places where the hot and cold lines will branch off. If they are at different places within the joist they should be able to cross over one another etc.
Thanks
Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #36
dont tread on me!

Whenever I used to run pipes around in a house,I'd have the hot high. Was easy to remember which is which. Hot high. And yea just keep them away from surfaces so they can't get hit by nails or screws.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #37

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Whenever I used to run pipes around in a house,I'd have the hot high. Was easy to remember which is which. Hot high. And yea just keep them away from surfaces so they can't get hit by nails or screws.
Can do, thanks.
Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #38

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
We are trying out some colors for the walls and ceiling. I also added some self leveling cement to the rear of the water heater concrete support to bring it to level. I temporarily put the water heater in its spot and it sits very solidly and straight! That is a relief....Also shown is an aluminum drip pan 24" x 1 1/2" tall. I had to look around to find one so shallow, which according to the water heater manual is just right (1 3/4" max depth).
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02787-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02788-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02789-large-.jpg  
Old 12-23-2012, 03:22 PM   #39
dont tread on me!

Welcome
Old 12-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #40
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Pipes should be in the middle third of the joists ( from top to bottom )

Products Discussed in this Thread