Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Geode's plumbing build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #121
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolunatic View Post
I'd put a check valve in. I always try and install them with mixing valves and circ pumps.
Cool, do you have any type and brands you would recommend? Solder or threaded connection?

A vertically oriented valve would be the easiest to retrofit in, but I can see the advantage of the horizontally mounted swing check.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2013, 02:29 AM   #122
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kevin
Kolunatic's Tacoma Gallery
I always seem to use threaded. And a swing check installed horizontally.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #123
Geode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shedGeode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
I rerouted the piping so the cold inlet to the mixing valve originates down near the bottom of the heater. This helped a lot with the siphoning, I would guess a 50% decrease in temperature rise. And I ordered a Nibco check valve, I'm fairly sure this will cool things down..

Guess I won't be switching over to the new water heater just yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #124

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
I've installed a Nibco spring check vertically, with my piping layout it was the easiest to retrofit in. I also moved the cold water inlet piping to the mixing valve down much lower. This has eliminated the thermo-siphoning, most excellent. Currently I have the new water heater supplying my bathroom shower and it has been working well over the last few days. I still have my old water heater supplying the kitchen, and so over the next few weeks I'll be tying in all my remaining fixtures to my new copper trunk lines. Can't wait to take all the old galvanized pipe to the recycling center!
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02900-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02901-large-.jpg  
Old 03-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #125
dont tread on me!
Kolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedKolunatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Nice job geode! You've done a good job,one to be proud of. Pat yourself on the back
Old 03-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #126

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice job geode! You've done a good job,one to be proud of. Pat yourself on the back
Thanks for all your advice along the way! Now to build the radiant control panel and figure out how to rough in a full bathroom basement with injection system I'm tired just thinking about it.....
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #127
dont tread on me!

Glad to help. Wish I had a basement.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #128

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Glad to help. Wish I had a basement.
Could you dig yourself one?

This past weekend I removed my old water heater and all the galvanized from the house! Thankfully I turned off my old water heater a few days before draining it. I turned the drain valve and it came off in my hand....Very exciting So glad to have that old heater out...Just in time...
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-img953414.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02906-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02909-large-.jpg  
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #129
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
Could you dig yourself one?

This past weekend I removed my old water heater and all the galvanized from the house! Thankfully I turned off my old water heater a few days before draining it. I turned the drain valve and it came off in my hand....Very exciting So glad to have that old heater out...Just in time...
I hate when that happens,makes me sweat instantly.
I thought about a basement,too expensive. I'm on solid rock.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:12 PM   #130

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Next phase, for entertainment purposes only :)

My new water heater is running like a champ, and let me say, at 100,000 btu this water heater really heats it up fast.

We have adopted a new puppy Connor aka "Goat", which is a blast but has slowed us down a bit. Connor can be seen in one of the photos.

Don't try this at home.....
Getting my old water heater out has freed up the space so I can replace another column and footing (barely). I think the pictures are fairly self explanatory. I've attached a photo of an earlier column/footing we put in so you can see where we are going with this. It's not obvious, but most of the footing has been buried (it's 13" thick)

After this new column is in, next up is to brick out the old Chimney, replace the last column, layout a full bathroom than pour a new floor with radiant tubing in the slab. Will see how long this takes
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc01549-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02921-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02922-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02935-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02925-large-.jpg  

Geode's plumbing build-dsc02928-large-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 03:19 PM   #131

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
New column is in

finally..
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02984-large-.jpg   Geode's plumbing build-dsc02986-large-.jpg  
Old 05-31-2013, 06:07 PM   #132
dont tread on me!

Good to see you're still busy. I'm all over the place here with ADD. The most I finish is at work.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #133

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to see you're still busy. I'm all over the place here with ADD. The most I finish is at work.
I'm trying to keep it going, this basement project is an albatross....

Do you have any experience with water powered backup sumps? I need to install perimeter drainage and a new sump basin prior to pouring the floor. Another area I have little to no experience with...
Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #134
dont tread on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
I'm trying to keep it going, this basement project is an albatross....

Do you have any experience with water powered backup sumps? I need to install perimeter drainage and a new sump basin prior to pouring the floor. Another area I have little to no experience with...
Thanks
Sump pumps yes. Hydro powered,no.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:44 PM   #135

Geode's Tacoma Gallery
New Column

is in, temporary supports and form removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Geode's plumbing build-dsc02993-large-.jpg  
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM   #136
dont tread on me!

Nice footing. Still going at it. At least you're working in shade

Products Discussed in this Thread