Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Toyota is on the Good Crack

Old 10-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota is on the Good Crack

So, extremely minor pinion seal leak on my taco...and I'm not even sure it's the pinion seal's fault. I'm running 85-140 gear oil and just put in a fresh fill, so I may be slightly overfilled with a higher viscosity.

Anyway, I wander down to the ToMoCo dealership today to grab a pinion seal and nut. After I order the parts at the counter, I get a quote from the service guy out of curiosity what they charge for a pinion seal replacement.

$500.40

Seriously.

Their system said it was a 4.6 hour job labor wise. With the right tools, it can be done in about 30 minutes.

What. The. Hell.

Anyway just thought I'd lay a friendly reminder...don't go to dealerships.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
LOL so true my wife has a Prius don't ask and to change the head lights they want $450.00 because they say the bumper needs to be removed . Well 30min later and 3 you tube videos i got it down and it took 10min to change without removing the bumper.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Frightening. I literally explained the 5 steps to performing the process to the service manager. He sort of shrugged and was like "Our system says..."