1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

You guys probably know my than my "contractor"

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by drewskie, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:29 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    My uncle owns the house I live in, and he has a handy man he hires to do the work on the house. The guy is by far the sloppiest "contractor" I have ever seen, it's almost as though he's doing things someone would do on a gag show to piss off the customer.

Anyway, one of the window sills on the front exterior was rotting away so he was hired to fix it. My uncle and I were both under the impression he was going to patch the wood, or maybe cut out the bad part and put new wood in.
    Long story short, he removed the entire sill, and even took out the interior portion of the window sill, and it looks awful. The piece he cut for the front didn't fit, so he left like that and filled all the gaps in the wood with silicone, globs and globs of it. He took the trim around the window, and while doing so some stucco came off, he also filled those gaps with silicone. On the inside, while taking the sill, some of the drywall came off, he used wood filler to patch the holes (small cracks). He nailed the sill back on from the top part, on the flat part of sill, rather than from the front.

My questions for you guy guys are, regarding the outside, how bad is it that basically the entire window is covered in silcone, if I hose off the windows will water get inside the wall, or inside the house?

On the inside, is there I way I can smooth out the joint where the sill meets the wall/window,? It looks like shit, all bumpy and cracked and has fairly large gaps.

Lastly, if I were to hire someone on my own to come fix this dudes mess, how much would it cost, any ideas? And how hard is it to match the old paint on the inside sill and outside stucco? (about 2 years ago). This guy claims it's impossible.

I appreciate any help you guys can give. the house is in great condition except for this one thing that's just bothering the hell out of me.

2. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:34 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Get a quote from a reputable carpenter / contractor in your area , prices will vary greatly with location

3. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:38 PM
    Pchop

Pchop Beavis Killer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob I
    Stuart, FL
    Vehicle:
    '09 Tacoma TRD
    I'll get the name of the guy my cousin uses. I have seen his work and he is good. I am flying down in the morning and will see him tomorrow night. I'll post it then.

4. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM
    drewskie

drewskie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I was hoping you'd chime in. I probably will call someone, but I also don't want to put too much money in a house I don't own. Does it sound like a big job? Also, how bad is it to just leave it be? Thanks.
    (ill get some pics of his "work" tomorrow)

and Rardigo, I'll definitely call the guy. Thanks.

5. Oct 18, 2012 at 11:50 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    If water can't get in , it is not an immediate issue , however , if it can get in and behind the stucco , you don't want that to go on for too long

Pics would definitely help

6. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Not a big $$ job, just not sure of how much a contractor would get. I'd guess around 500 or so but that's only a guess. I've replaced windows at my house and it's not that bad to do the job you mentioned.

He definitely should have replaced the wood and not needed silicone, at least not in that amount. Sounds like he was just trying to not have to get more supplies and use what he had instead.

Short term, you'll be okay. Long term, nope. I wouldn't stress every day over it but get someone else to fix this mess.

7. Oct 19, 2012 at 6:48 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    On the paint..what color is it? And how long has it been there?

Particularly on the outside it might be better to paint the entire trim on that window..if it's a regular color like white it will be fine, it's not like it's right up against another window to compare.

Products Discussed in

To Top