Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

chain saw mishaps

Old 10-28-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: E-4
Name: Tom
tomwilson74's Tacoma Gallery
chain saw mishaps

Anybody got any good stories or pic's? Got my lower left ankle the other day, at least my tattoo didn't get hit.
Attached Thumbnails
chain saw mishaps-033.jpg  
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #2
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
I have a scar across my left cheek from a chainsaw mishap. They are never clean cuts and leave ugly scars. When I went to ER the Doc on call was a plastic surgeon so he did what he could to minimize the damage.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
wes mantooth ™
Joben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoben7726 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: I Babysit Adults
Name: Joben
Joben7726's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Is that 6 stitches? I have a 5 stitch minimum myself. Anything less, and they can just glue it back together.

Not a chain saw issue, but about 6 years ago, I was building a fountain out of a wooden keg for my folks. I had to cut the keg in half, and the saw blade shield kept getting in the way, so I disabled it with some bailing wire. My Mom was watching, and said that that wasnt a good idea, but I told her "I know what Im doing". SO.....As I was cutting, the saw kicked back, abd shot right ito my right leg. Fortunately, as it did so with enough force to break the wire, thus releasing the blade safety before it made contact with my leg.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
tomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomwilson74 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Is that 6 stitches? I have a 5 stitch minimum myself. Anything less, and they can just glue it back together.

Not a chain saw issue, but about 6 years ago, I was building a fountain out of a wooden keg for my folks. I had to cut the keg in half, and the saw blade shield kept getting in the way, so I disabled it with some bailing wire. My Mom was watching, and said that that wasnt a good idea, but I told her "I know what Im doing". SO.....As I was cutting, the saw kicked back, abd shot right ito my right leg. Fortunately, as it did so with enough force to break the wire, thus releasing the blade safety before it made contact with my leg.
Yeah, it's six stitches. Pretty ragged cut, could have used a few more but the skin just didn't line up well.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
EndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really niceEndlessSummer is just really nice

Name: Jason
EndlessSummer's Tacoma Gallery
When I was a sawyer on the handcrew in 2009 I almost cut off my swampers head. I was bucking a downed log while we were putting in some handline. He walked around to pick up another round I had just bucked and tripped. I saw him go down out of the corner of my eye and locked up the chain brake at full speed. He landed on the bar. Only some small scrapes on his neck though. He definitely got lucky. Good situational awareness definitely saved him.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #8
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
That was the same issue I had with my face but the doc made the outside look better and didny care about the mess on the inside
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
Yeah, it's six stitches. Pretty ragged cut, could have used a few more but the skin just didn't line up well.
Yeah...Powered cutting tools rarely leave a nice clean cut. Hope it heals up fast for ya.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Faller's pants
^This... and leather work boots, gloves and glasses
Old 10-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
WE'VE LANDED ON THE MOON!
TeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamLombardo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Tony
TeamLombardo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwilson74 View Post
Anybody got any good stories or pic's? Got my lower left ankle the other day, at least my tattoo didn't get hit.
WTH! Did you stitch that yourself with shoe laces?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #12
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Ive been cutting trees down my whole life. I even was a faller on a hot shot crew for 4 yrs. never had an accident yet. Knock on wood! I hope to keep it that way. X2 on the faller pants. They work, a fellow faller would have lost his leg with out them.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #13
koch1024 is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Andy
koch1024's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessSummer View Post
When I was a sawyer on the handcrew in 2009 I almost cut off my swampers head. I was bucking a downed log while we were putting in some handline. He walked around to pick up another round I had just bucked and tripped. I saw him go down out of the corner of my eye and locked up the chain brake at full speed. He landed on the bar. Only some small scrapes on his neck though. He definitely got lucky. Good situational awareness definitely saved him.
Wow! Nice work!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
I'll def. have the pants and boots on next time. I guess I learned the hard way that shorts and sandals are not lumberjack attire!