Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

How to heat garage

Old 10-31-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weather Journeyman
Name: Zach
usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
How to heat garage

Was just wondering what you guys use to heat your garage. Just moved to New Jersey from Arizona and would like to work on my bikes year round. Was thinking a standard propane convection type heater, is this safe if its in the opposite side from my gas cans and chemicals? (I know to crack a window for ventilation for C02) Just cant afford to rewire the house (plus Im renting) for an electric ceiling heater and no sure buyintg a few electric space heaters will be sufficent. Thanks in advance!

Zach
Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Depending on how big the space is, the Ready Heaters are really nice and will sweat you out. My dad has the 35 and in the dead of winter, we have to turn it off after an hour or 2 because it gets too warm. He has a 4 stall garage but we usually keep the heater facing 2 stalls so it's not really heating the whole space, just were we're working.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
U MAD? OH U MAD
RJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRJALLDAY702 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: RJ
RJALLDAY702's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
Impressive Member
RevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shedRevAdam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
RevAdam's Tacoma Gallery
We use an old buck stove with the stack vented outside. Load that puppy down with wood and she'll go all day.

http://www.buckstove.net/
Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM   #6
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
To the OP, how big is the garage and is it insulated ?

Those are key and will affect you best choice for heat.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:36 PM   #7
usafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to beholdusafwx is a splendid one to behold

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
To the OP, how big is the garage and is it insulated ?

Those are key and will affect you best choice for heat.
Not insulated, single car garage attached. I would say no bigger than 500sq ft.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:50 PM   #9
The Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe Woodsman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
The Woodsman's Tacoma Gallery
If it is open studs, I would recommend that you go ahead and insulate it even if it means spending your own money. Insulation is cheap.

A one car garage could be as small as say 12' x 20' or much bigger. 500 sf would be huge for one car. My one car is attached and so it gets some heat from the house and I insulated and installed two electric baseboard heaters in it. They are not fast but give it a couple of hours and it gets plenty warm.

Any kerosene heater would do it much faster but then you have to turn it off and on and off when it gets too hot. If you are on the big side (500 sf) then the woodstove may be a good idea. In a little 250 sf garage you will not want to give up that amount of space.

Another option if you can pick it up cheap is a small unit heater which hangs from the ceiling and can be ran off of a propane cylinder and they make these in hot water versions too if you have hot water heat. These unit heaters come up for sale used all the time.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:55 PM   #10

usafwx's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Woodsman View Post
If it is open studs, I would recommend that you go ahead and insulate it even if it means spending your own money. Insulation is cheap.

A one car garage could be as small as say 12' x 20' or much bigger. 500 sf would be huge for one car. My one car is attached and so it gets some heat from the house and I insulated and installed two electric baseboard heaters in it. They are not fast but give it a couple of hours and it gets plenty warm.

Any kerosene heater would do it much faster but then you have to turn it off and on and off when it gets too hot. If you are on the big side (500 sf) then the woodstove may be a good idea. In a little 250 sf garage you will not want to give up that amount of space.

Another option if you can pick it up cheap is a small unit heater which hangs from the ceiling and can be ran off of a propane cylinder and they make these in hot water versions too if you have hot water heat. These unit heaters come up for sale used all the time.
Thanks, I think it is more like 250sq ft. Just have my 2 dirt bikes and street bike in there with tools, etc. Dont think the truck would even fit. Its not open studs so no insulating. Ended up buying a propane convection heater for 1250sq ft, will just use that for now. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
I have one of those Reddy heaters at my dads in CT if you want it, I'll give it to you. He has been up my ass to get rid of all my shit there and its not worth it to ship it all here. Seriously. I dont have pics, my dad is 70 so he's usless to put on the web but, I have a ton of shit there. PM me, might be worth your while.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I use one of these guys in my 2 car garage (~350 sq ft). There's no open combustion to worry about igniting fumes or anything like that.

Heats up the garage to a comfortable temp in the winter time within about 30 minutes. My garage is insulated though (walls, ceiling, door) so it keeps the heat in a lot better.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
I grabbed a surplus military multi-fuel heater for my shop (insulated 1000sqft). It's finally cold enough to try it out tomorrow!

http://www.hdtglobal.com/site_media/...eHeater_06.pdf
Old 01-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
I installed this about 4 years ago. $100 on Craigslist. I am ready to work in on the Tacoma in a t shirt after the heater has been on for 10 minutes.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #15
My68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shedMy68ur8trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
My68ur8trd's Tacoma Gallery

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/1342...ws/reviews.htm

I have one of these that I keep in the garage. Its nice because its an A/C and heater. I will keep the garage at 65 when its 40 outside and will get it down to 77-80 when its 95 outside ( not to bad)

plus I can put it in the house and heat/cool a room with a generator if we loose power ( hurricanes etc...)

I love it. just hook it to the window and let it run. I will turn on a few space heaters when it really cold to initially get the temp up, then this unit does the rest. I have a full 2 car arage with 14 ft ceilings (drywalled but not insulated)

Justin
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #16
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Here is what i installed in my garage.

http://www.radiantheatproducts.com/s...t_detail&p=249
Old 01-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #17
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
I use this ...heats up my double door garage to where I am sweating inabout 10 min

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Old 01-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #18
Swamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedSwamp Donkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Swamp Donkey's Tacoma Gallery
Can you kill yourself from the fumes from a Herman Nelson? Seems like burning kerosene in a small confined space might not be the best idea.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:47 AM   #19
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Fuck I'm jealous. Even if I had one of these heaters, it would do me no good unless I could fit my truck. If I park all the way into my garage, my DCLB practically touches the garage door.

Should have seen me the other day working on my rear bumper. Truck bed was the only part I could back into the garage. I closed the door until it was almost touching my truck bed and had to use a heat gun to keep the bumper warm so I could paint.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #20
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Started out with an old wood stove. Too much hassle and storing wood at my in town location was a pain. Changed to a pellet stove but that always needed cleaning to work right.

About 6 years ago I swapped out to this. My best investment. I go to the garage to get projects done, not tend to fires.

This makes life soooo easy. Set it, and forget it.

I keep a 100 lb tank outside the garage and a 20lb BBQ tank for backup when the big one kicks it. Generally 1 tank lasts most of the winter.

75,000 btu of joy