Notices

Bed cap/shell storage

Old 11-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
2k4Taco will become famous soon enough2k4Taco will become famous soon enough

Navy: PO2 USN
Name: Swanny
2k4Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Bed cap/shell storage

Hey guys Im going to be buying a bed cap soon and I was wondering if anyone had a good way for storaging it besides taking up space on the floor... Ive tried to search TW but Ive only been able to find ideas on google. mostly pulley systems. Thanks! Pics would be helpful.- Swanny..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I've only seen a few in people garages elevated on 2x4's up by the ceilings.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!
Tonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 5711- CBRN
Name: Joey
Tonto27's Tacoma Gallery
i used to take mine off for the summer. I used 2X4's on the ceiling bolted with lag bolts spaced like the bedsides. flip it upside down and ratchet it up in 1 foot increments. two across and one lengthwise with eye bolts in the 2X4's. it's a pain in the ass and you need 3 guys to do it so it depends on how often you will take it down but it worked for the 6 months i didn't use it.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
New frame on order.
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in the same boat as you - looking for ideas. I love having the cap most of the time, but there's the odd time I'd rather throw the dirtbike into the box instead of onto the trailer. In the spirit of doing this on-demand, I'm looking to make this a one-man operation.

I've got a factory installed Thule rack rails on my Leer 100XL and was thinking about using the roof racks to lift from, but not sure of load capacity in that scenario (especially long term - over the summer). So instead of that, I'm thinking about a rail system that I'd slide in under the cap on top of the bed rails and lift from the 4 corners - with a chainfall or pulley system from the ceiling is what I'm picturing...
Old 12-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
BlackHillsTacoma is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
BlackHillsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 17 and I just hop in the bed, put my back against the inside of the topper and stand up and carry it off the bed. Leer isn't very heavy, I've put it on and taken it off myself quite a few times.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I just put some eye bolts through the ceiling joists and use some ratchet straps to lift it off the bed. Mine pretty much stays on all the time. I've only taken it off 3-4 times in the 2 years I've had it. If I need to haul something tall, I usually just use my trailer.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
New frame on order.
b0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shedb0ules is one of the sharper tools in the shed

b0ules's Tacoma Gallery
Good to know, Blackhills!

And Macgyver, you're living up to the name! Awesome setup - simple but perfectly effective! I like this! My biggest issue would be that I'd like to hang the cap in an old barn - it's 30 feet up, so I'm going to have to build something to hang those eye bolts a little...closer to the ground.

Cheers,
Marc
Old 12-05-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
MichelinMan
teamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shedteamhypoxia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

teamhypoxia's Tacoma Gallery
I built a frame in the shape of an "I" out of 2x4s. Hung straps from the frame that loop around the topper. Eyebolt in the frame, pulleys on the garage ceiling, wire cable running through pulleys to a harbor freight hand crank on the wall.
15-20 minutes by myself, top on or off
Old 12-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Year round storage
Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
I just put some eye bolts through the ceiling joists and use some ratchet straps to lift it off the bed. Mine pretty much stays on all the time. I've only taken it off 3-4 times in the 2 years I've had it. If I need to haul something tall, I usually just use my trailer.

This fuking guys garage
Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #11
JWinTN is on a distinguished road
JWinTN's Tacoma Gallery
You can find some useful info in this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ell-hoist.html

I thought about putting some type of system in my garage, but then I realized I'd likely never use it and shelved the idea.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #12
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
This fuking guys garage
Lol