Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Using Extension Cord with Chest Freezer

Old 11-16-2012, 01:13 PM   #21
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
what is this? amateur hour?

i made my own
I have those in 8 gauge cab tire
Old 11-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #22
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
my guess is the reason they discourage the use of extension cords is the same reason hairdryer manufacturers use caution labels about using near water - i.e. they don't like getting sued by stupid people

...probably this is because undoubtedly some people in need of an extension cord for an appliance would just go by a cheap lamp cord and use that = potential disaster, since the gauge (or diameter) of the conductors is too small for the intended currents and thus could become to hot and a fire hazard...

my rule of thumb would be to get the appliance cord w/ the same guage and capacity as the NM (i.e. romex) cabling supplying the outlet it will be hooked into. this way it's just an extension of the circuit behind the walls that is designed to work w/ a breaker. so, look at the guage and current rating (in amps) feeding the outlet, and go w/ that size in your extension cord, and make sure it's UL/CSA rated, and you should be fine...
Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #23
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I repair freezers and such for a living.

A chest freezer has only one electrical load, the compressor. When running, the compressor is only going to pull 2 amps. However, when starting, the compressor will instantaneously pull 15+ amps.

In the event of a compressor failure, when the compressor is TRYING to start, but can't, we are talking about locked rotor amperage of 20-25 amps for several seconds at a time. Circuit breakers don't trip instantaneously. In the event that the temperature protection device on the compressor fails, and the compressor keeps trying to start at locked rotor amperage, you're relying on the house breaker to trip and save the day. If it does not, the weakest link in the system will burn up.

Go by the 20 amp rated cord, in the shortest length possible. Most circuits are 20 amps now, with 12gauge wire and 20 amp breakers. Don't pile a bunch of potentially flammable stuff around the freezer. Especially don't set the end of the extension cord, with the freezer plug pushed into it, on anything flammable, like carpet. That connection is more likely to get hot than the actual cord, and I have seen scorched carpet from that.

Ideally, you'd add an outlet for the freezer, and eliminate the extension cord. But I feel it's a small risk with a good heavy cord, and some common sense.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #24
joes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoes06tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Joe
joes06tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
my guess is the reason they discourage the use of extension cords is the same reason hairdryer manufacturers use caution labels about using near water - i.e. they don't like getting sued by stupid people

...probably this is because undoubtedly some people in need of an extension cord for an appliance would just go by a cheap lamp cord and use that = potential disaster, since the gauge (or diameter) of the conductors is too small for the intended currents and thus could become to hot and a fire hazard...

my rule of thumb would be to get the appliance cord w/ the same guage and capacity as the NM (i.e. romex) cabling supplying the outlet it will be hooked into. this way it's just an extension of the circuit behind the walls that is designed to work w/ a breaker. so, look at the guage and current rating (in amps) feeding the outlet, and go w/ that size in your extension cord, and make sure it's UL/CSA rated, and you should be fine...
Yes. You'd be surprised (maybe not) how many fools plug a microwave (12amps plus) into a two prong lamp cord, with the grounding prong on the microwave bent out of the way. 4,000 volt transformer inside, and they eliminate the ground.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #25
ttaM will become famous soon enoughttaM will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
ttaM's Tacoma Gallery
I ended up getting the 12g 15ft. It's on a dedicated breaker as well, so I feel pretty good about it.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #26
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
Lower the number, thicker the cord. I don't know if I've seen anything thicker than 12 gauge extension cord before. I got a 100' 12 gauge off Amazon for my electric edger, think it was about $50. You could probably snag a short 12 gauge wire from lowes or home depot for fairly cheap.
Rigid makes a 10 guage. I bought it for use with my compressor (~$90).
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electri...d-aw62627.html