Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Need suggestions on a good (inexpensive) jack

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 AM   #1
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: boss
Location: somewhere endlessly searching for ways to offend BUTTHURTgirl
283's Tacoma Gallery
Need suggestions on a good (inexpensive) jack

So the jack that came with the truck is basically worthless. Are there any good, inexpensive jacks that I can use to jack up one side of the truck to do my tire rotation? Are any of the harbor freight ones worth a damn?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #2
BostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shedBostonBilly is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard:
BostonBilly's Tacoma Gallery
You can usually find a deal at Sears for a good alum one pump to touch jack and maybe the stands included. I forget how much it was but that is the set up I got my father in law
Old 11-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
sexual ninja
barker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbarker14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
barker14's Tacoma Gallery
Just go for a cheap set with a jack and stands if your truck is stock height. If your lifted you will need bigger stands and a taller jack or use some wood to extend the height. Not sure why I even have the stock jack in the truck still. All the way up it doesn't even reach the frame...
Old 11-18-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Are you looking for a bottle jack to replace the factory one in case you are on the side of the road? Floor jacks out of the question?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Banned
283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed283 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
283's Tacoma Gallery
floor jack
Old 11-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
jeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeckel7234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Crew Chief 62 AMXS
Name: Drew
jeckel7234's Tacoma Gallery
ive had the older version of this for about 5 yrs and its been great
http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-j...uty-68048.html

Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #7
Resident Jackass
SoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoutheastTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: steven
SoutheastTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Torin big red from advance auto. Cheap, but seems to work well.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
the risk is worth the reward
mattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattmxracer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: matt
mattmxracer's Tacoma Gallery
3 ton jack from sears for black friday for 79.99
Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmxracer View Post
3 ton jack from sears for black friday for 79.99
x2, I forget which package, but for under $100 you can two jackstans and a floor jack rated for 3 tons, plus the creeper. I have had no problems with mine.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #10
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
So far I've had decent luck with my Harbor Freight.

The "dirty little secret" of the floor jack industry is they rate the capacity of the jack as the ENTIRE WEIGHT OF THE CAR assuming it's evenly distributed between front and rear axles. If you read enough fine print on these labels, you'll find this out.

So a "2 ton" jack does NOT lift a 4000lb axle on an 8000lb truck. It lifts a 2000lb axle on a 4000lb car.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Banned
283's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for your input guys. so i need/want a 3-ton jack, correct?
i will keep an eye out for some good black friday deals
Old 11-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, and if you're lifted, make sure that the height range is sufficient to raise the truck high enough for you to work on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 283 View Post
thanks for your input guys. so i need/want a 3-ton jack, correct?
i will keep an eye out for some good black friday deals
If you did want to go cheaper, technically you could go with a 2.5 or even 2 ton jack. Your truck is right under 2 tons (right under) stock; if you went with a lower rated jack but got stands for 2.5 or greater you would be okay. It makes it more difficult to lift but it can be done, and typically it would bd cheaper. If you do go under 3 ton, also consider any additional equipment added to your truck.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeckel7234 View Post
ive had the older version of this for about 5 yrs and its been great
http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-j...uty-68048.html

I just bought that one. Seems to do the job nicely
Old 11-18-2012, 07:43 PM   #15
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjew18 View Post
If you did want to go cheaper, technically you could go with a 2.5 or even 2 ton jack. Your truck is right under 2 tons (right under) stock; if you went with a lower rated jack but got stands for 2.5 or greater you would be okay. It makes it more difficult to lift but it can be done, and typically it would bd cheaper. If you do go under 3 ton, also consider any additional equipment added to your truck.
Remember, on a pickup, the front's a lot heavier than the rear.

So don't go less than 2.5. I have a 2.5 I got (because it had more height range than the 3T) and I wouldn't want any less when lifting the front - and I have a four banger reg cab.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #16
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
Remember, on a pickup, the front's a lot heavier than the rear.

So don't go less than 2.5. I have a 2.5 I got (because it had more height range than the 3T) and I wouldn't want any less when lifting the front - and I have a four banger reg cab.
I edited my post in his other thread. Looking at the specs, the 4x4 dc is actually right over 2 ton; I told him to go at least 2.5, but 3 for ease of use.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #17
Banned
283's Tacoma Gallery
Which one should I get?
Craftsman 3-ton $79.99: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton...2&blockType=G2
or
Harbor Freight 3-ton $69.99: http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-j...uty-68048.html
or
GM 3-ton $74.99: http://www.sears.com/gm-performance-...kType=G30#desc
Old 11-24-2012, 06:37 AM   #18
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
#1 IMO, you didn't snag any of the Black Friday deals (or are those the deals)?
Old 11-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
Banned
283's Tacoma Gallery
i wasn't going to fight the herds of morons yesterday, some of those are black friday 3-day deals

i did go to Best Buy at around 2pm and picked up a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive for $40.....they were hidden and i think that's why no one found them
Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #20
the Nightman cometh!

jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i wasn't going to fight the herds of morons yesterday, some of those are black friday 3-day deals

i did go to Best Buy at around 2pm and picked up a Toshiba Canvio external hard drive for $40.....they were hidden and i think that's why no one found them
Nice, how many GBs or TBs?

Products Discussed in this Thread