Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Help me teach myself how to weld

Old 11-26-2012, 08:27 PM   #21
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 661prerunner View Post
I'm sure you got the point. But when I built my sliders I spent a whopping $25 but I did do it out of a shop. Had a minor error and still use the sliders til this day. I did build I front and rear bumper I no longer have at a very low cost. But again all I had all the tools and more handy
What did you use to build $25.00 sliders you can't even get a stick of 1.75" .120 wall HREW for that.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!
MTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud ofMTBerJim has much to be proud of

MTBerJim's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfox1 View Post
Even self shielded flux core wire creates a shielding gas once vaporized. Flux cored electrodes that are gas shielded are for shop environments and flux cored electrodes that are self-shielded are for field welding
We use the dual shield wire at work (flux core/argon co2) .045/.052 filler wire, in the shop. We work on some heavy steel, but it's always inside, so in truth I don't know if those smaller flux/MIG machines can be used outside in the wind. It would make sense that it can be done, but I've never tried it so I was reluctant to say it.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #23
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
You can use the flux core outside as long as the wind is not blowing too hard. I have used my gas shielded outside using windbreaks before when the wind started blowing, but it's a pain.

Pipe is harder to weld and a LOT harder to fit. Only certain sizes of pipes have cutting guides made for them. Saddling a size without a guide is time consuming and a pain. That's where the shops have a big advantage. Thier machines are set up and ready to go.

On that note, you would need some layout tools. Browse around for what you think you would need. IF you have basic layout tools, you wont need much.

You will aslo need a cutting torch, bottles(renting is much cheaper unless you are in it for the long haul. I bought mine and they were about 350 a piece and about 15-30 to fill. I think renting is about 20-30 per month?) large grinder, small grinder, welding helmet(definately auto darkening. Well worth the extra 2-300.) leathers, gloves, your basic consumables, and metal.

You could probably go cheaper than what I am pricing you, but by the time you get your metal and all your gear you are gonna be on up there enough that even if you made it cheaper, you'd be spending an awful amount of time. My suggestion is to at least learn the basics of welding either through a class or find somebody willing to let you use thier machine to practice with before buying your own equipment. And if you dont really like welding and have a place to do it and the equipment to make it easier, buy your stuff or hire somebody to do it. Hope I gave you what you were looking for.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #24
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
I built my own steps.....practice is key to welding...........its all in the hand movememnt and having your welder set right w/ heat and wire speed depending on thickness of the steel.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ade-steps.html
Old 01-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #25
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
I even made a rear bumper guard w/ hitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me teach myself how to weld-imgp2882.jpg