1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Help me teach myself how to weld

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by lone wolf 87, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Nov 26, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    MTBerJim

MTBerJim You Know We Can't Do This All Day!!!

Member:
    Long Island, NY.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 2.7, Auto, 4x4
    Original
    We use the dual shield wire at work (flux core/argon co2) .045/.052 filler wire, in the shop. We work on some heavy steel, but it's always inside, so in truth I don't know if those smaller flux/MIG machines can be used outside in the wind. It would make sense that it can be done, but I've never tried it so I was reluctant to say it.

2. Nov 26, 2012 at 10:02 PM
    Country101

Country101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma access cab V6 4x4 manual
    dirty truck mod, custom trailer scratch on tailgate, husky floorliners, OME Lift
    You can use the flux core outside as long as the wind is not blowing too hard. I have used my gas shielded outside using windbreaks before when the wind started blowing, but it's a pain.

Pipe is harder to weld and a LOT harder to fit. Only certain sizes of pipes have cutting guides made for them. Saddling a size without a guide is time consuming and a pain. That's where the shops have a big advantage. Thier machines are set up and ready to go.

On that note, you would need some layout tools. Browse around for what you think you would need. IF you have basic layout tools, you wont need much.

You will aslo need a cutting torch, bottles(renting is much cheaper unless you are in it for the long haul. I bought mine and they were about 350 a piece and about 15-30 to fill. I think renting is about 20-30 per month?) large grinder, small grinder, welding helmet(definately auto darkening. Well worth the extra 2-300.) leathers, gloves, your basic consumables, and metal.

You could probably go cheaper than what I am pricing you, but by the time you get your metal and all your gear you are gonna be on up there enough that even if you made it cheaper, you'd be spending an awful amount of time. My suggestion is to at least learn the basics of welding either through a class or find somebody willing to let you use thier machine to practice with before buying your own equipment. And if you dont really like welding and have a place to do it and the equipment to make it easier, buy your stuff or hire somebody to do it. Hope I gave you what you were looking for.

3. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    Fire Taco Fighter

Fire Taco Fighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trd
  4. Jan 13, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Fire Taco Fighter

Fire Taco Fighter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    trd
    I even made a rear bumper guard w/ hitch.

IMGP2882.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top