Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Hardwood Floors question

Old 12-05-2012, 07:23 PM   #21
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
backsaw ?

What's that Father Time ?

I have a Fien
that's great but, in the interest of frugality, if the OP is only going to be cutting a couple jams for home improvement projects, ...the backsaw will get the job done handily w/out a major expenditure....
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
that's great but, in the interest of frugality, if the OP is only going to be cutting a couple jams for home improvement projects, ...the backsaw will get the job done handily w/out a major expenditure....
I'm just rattling your cage

I would actually choose a flush cutting dozuki for this job
Old 12-10-2012, 04:38 AM   #23
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, this thread got busy this weekend.

I knew about cutting the jambs and all that, i was just concerned about the luan on the subfloor. I removed it all this weekend and it was a good thing I did. Turns out the dishwasher had leaked sometime in the past and there was mold between the subfloor and the first layer of luan.

All in all it took me about 6 hours to lay the floor in my dining room, another 4 hours to remove the click lock laminate and the luan in the kitchen. So far looks pretty good. I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

And somebody asked what kind of floor...
I'm nailing down 4" wide hand scraped bamboo...

Redoing all trim...baseboards, doors, windows, the whole nine yards...

At a standstill right now...The bamboo requires an 18 gauge flooring nailer and they are expensive, so a friend that owns a flooring store let me use his nailer...But he needed it this week for a job...So i'm stuck till i can get it back...

New cabinets getting delivered this weekend and I should be back in business next week...

Thanks for all the comments..
Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #24
Born in the Backwoods
kris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkris77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kris77's Tacoma Gallery
Some pics...

Just look over the mess. I have to move things from one side to the other...back and forth. I have nowhere to put anything...
Attached Thumbnails
Hardwood Floors question-img-20121205-00109.jpg   Hardwood Floors question-img-20121205-00111.jpg   Hardwood Floors question-img-20121207-00112.jpg   Hardwood Floors question-img-20121207-00113.jpg  
Old 12-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I'm just rattling your cage

I would actually choose a flush cutting dozuki for this job
Yes. Backcut for the old school win.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #26
CantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shedCantSitStill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FTR
CantSitStill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
Some pics...

Just look over the mess. I have to move things from one side to the other...back and forth. I have nowhere to put anything...
Looks like a good install and a good mix with some serious color variation. A couple seams look a bit close.... but you'll get that.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #27
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris77 View Post
Some pics...

Looks great

I had to do the same thing when I installed my floors. I packed one of my spare bedrooms full of stuff.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #28
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
looks like it's coming together well! nice choice of color...