Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Which tool brand do you prefer?

View Poll Results: What tools do you use?
Snap-On 71 43.56%
Mac 6 3.68%
Matco 13 7.98%
Cornwell 3 1.84%
Craftsman 110 67.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #61
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
I love these Snap-on torque wrenches.

I think you can buy better air and power tools though. Their ratchets are nice but I still think the matco ones I've played with are nicer. Though I haven't had a chance to use the matco ones like I have Snap-on.

SK Proto Williams Blackhawk Craftsman Snap-on Matco, I'll buy whatever is cost effective and reliable and makes life a little easier. Maybe a little HF.
ur exactly right. i have that torque wrench lol. but all my ratchets are 88 tooth matcos. i hated my snap on ratchet. but all sockets are snapon:-)
Old 12-27-2012, 08:46 PM   #62
ManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ManMan's Tacoma Gallery
My personal tools are mostly Craftsman because of the price, I do break their ratchets occasionally but the warranty convenience is great. My favorite tools are my grandpa's old Snap-Ons that have been handed down to me though!

When I worked as a mechanic, my favorite shop tools were the Matco's though. They were the slimest and easiest to use in tight places. Kobalt and Husky are just too bulky
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #63
AZ it is a "dry heat"
supriseaztacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
supriseaztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
What do u guys think the best brand is for home use torque wrench? I wrench on my truck often..
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #64
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Snap-On is pretty much the best shit money can buy. But you pay for what you get, obviously.

One thing a lot of people don't realize (but they should) is that Lowe's Kobalt line of tools are manufactured by Danaher Corp, who also owns Matco.

In my experience, Kobalt's quality is definitely a few notches above Husky and Craftsman every since Craftsman went Chinese. Knowing that Danaher makes them makes it a lot easier to understand why.

For the forseeable future, I'll be buying mostly Kobalt stuff.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #65
AZ it is a "dry heat"
supriseaztacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: Aaron
supriseaztacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Snap-On is pretty much the best shit money can buy. But you pay for what you get, obviously.

One thing a lot of people don't realize (but they should) is that Lowe's Kobalt line of tools are manufactured by Danaher Corp, who also owns Matco.

In my experience, Kobalt's quality is definitely a few notches above Husky and Craftsman every since Craftsman went Chinese. Knowing that Danaher makes them makes it a lot easier to understand why.

For the forseeable future, I'll be buying mostly Kobalt stuff.

Good to know! Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #66
HedgehogOutdoors is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: Explorer
Name: John
HedgehogOutdoors's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Craftsman tool set in my 4runner, and only have one complaint, the smallest ratchet doesn't work, it snaps around, I can't do anything with it.

Here's something about Craftsman, I don't think I'd buy another one of their tools after this. Channellock for me.
http://www.secretsofthefed.com/sears...bionic-wrench/
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #67
monsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonsterkx2fiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

monsterkx2fiddy's Tacoma Gallery
I bought a big kobalt set for like half price at lowes?maybe less. Someone returned it. After what looks like it sat in rain for a day. Some nice steel wool cleaned the sockets up.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #68
Stubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedStubbs95tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
Stubbs95tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
In my opinion if you havnt broken a socket, you don't need to spend 100's of dollars on snap on brand, oh well!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #69
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbs95tacoma View Post
In my opinion if you havnt broken a socket, you don't need to spend 100's of dollars on snap on brand, oh well!
+1

I've chipped the chrome on some Craftsman sockets, but it's been from using them as a bearing press or in my electric impact.
The only sockets that I've chipped or cracked from "normal" use have been the cheap "dollar store" brands or no-name stuff from Autozone and places like that.

Ratchets? Oh ya... the lever-type ratchets, I've popped a few Craftsman. I now try to get the old style where the reverse mechanism is the large dial if it's for any kind of heavy use. For 1/4", the lever type doesn't bother me, but I should not be able to pop a 3/8" 14" head with my wimpy arms and no cheater bar.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #70
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Honestly I think HF composite ratchets are nicer than any of the craftsman ones. Unless you can get the old school ones.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #71
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Can you use a composite as a hammer?
Old 02-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #72
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Haha yes... They're composite skinned. But regardless, I like them better. All the craftsman ratchets I've used are sloppy and skip. Replaced with S80, F80, and a T72 snap-on. And an FL80 and SHL80A.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #74
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I prefer snapon mostly because my snapon guy is great..at home and for the trail its a big mix between gear wrench, craftsman, and snapon and other random goodies
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #75
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I am a craftsman club member and I just got emailed about a bunch of 50% off deals. I am thinking of picking up the flat black limited edition top and bottom chest. They are each like 57% off right now. I know one guy on here just got himself that for christmas.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #76
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
Normally I would say snap-on.......but since I recently got back into working on trucks P/T and needed tools I went w/ craftsman and kobalt due to the extreme high cost of snap-on.
My home box is full of snap-on that I bought years ago when i was a full time mechanic.
I cant justify 140+ buck for a long handle 3/8's rachet thats just insane.
kobalt/craftsman warrenty is for life aswell.IMO
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #77
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Last two times I went to have some craftsman stuff warrantied I got the run around. One of the cashiers even tried to tell she didn't think the ratchet I was trying to exchange was not part of the warranty..whatever.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #78
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Anything American! Snap-on, craftsman(before china), s&k, if it says USA it good in my book.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 AM   #79
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Snap-on, Mac, Craftsman, kobalt and Matco. I have cheap shit, ratchets ESP. And to the post above not all non American tools are shit. There's quality stuff made everywhere , it's just you have just as much or more cheap shit.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #80
Power Top

I like Matco wrenches but not their impact sockets...I think the metal they use for them is too hard, I had a few crack on me including one this morning. Sucks because our Matco Rep only comes every other week when he feels like it and is usually a dick when trying to get something exchanged

Products Discussed in this Thread