Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Which tool brand do you prefer?

View Poll Results: What tools do you use?
Snap-On 71 43.56%
Mac 6 3.68%
Matco 13 7.98%
Cornwell 3 1.84%
Craftsman 110 67.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Swimmerboy2112 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brian
Swimmerboy2112's Tacoma Gallery
Which tool brand do you prefer?

I had this discussion with a few people about what company makes the best tools. I am a mechanic for Toyota and use my tools 8 hours a day every day. We have the Snap-on, Mac Tools, and Matco Tool trucks come to work.

Personally I prefer Snap-On tools as they have a lifetime no questions asked warranty and (in my opinion) have the best fit and finish. I have a few Craftsman tools as well, and while they're nice, they aren't as comfortable in my hand as the Snap-On tools are.

My question to you guys is, what tools do you have? I know some of you will say Snap-On tools cost way too much money, but I think they're worth it.

Opinions?
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
TexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexasPreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
TexasPreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
snap-on and matco for me!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
I am faster than 80% of all snakes.
Ben83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBen83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Intelligence Analyst for 10 years and then moved on.
Name: Ben
Ben83's Tacoma Gallery
I like Kobalt and Craftsman. Been picking up more of the Kobalt lately. Don't use my tools often enough to justify more expensive ones.

If I could afford Snap-On and actually needed such high quality tools that is probably what I would buy.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
Correct me if I'm wrong but up here Toyota supplies you tools?

As far as me I have snapon, Mac, craftsman and some HFT I all have at work.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1589 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but up here Toyota supplies you tools?

As far as me I have snapon, Mac, craftsman and some HFT I all have at work.
Boy that must be nice! Perhaps it's a dealership to dealership type of thing. All we get supplied with is compressed air...
Old 12-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #6
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112 View Post
Boy that must be nice! Perhaps it's a dealership to dealership type of thing. All we get supplied with is compressed air...
And that is usually more like a water hose. My dealership is too cheap to maintain the air system.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed03DBLCABTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
03DBLCABTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Oh yeah. Snap-on all the way.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM   #8
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Except for screwdriver tip wear, I have never had a hand tool fail on me, even the cheap Wal-Mart ones.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Except for screwdriver tip wear, I have never had a hand tool fail on me, even the cheap Wal-Mart ones.
Wow you have some good luck! It's very easy to break tools even when using them properly when you're working with them 8+ hours a day.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Nothing but Snap-On touches my truck or 5.0.

Jk I'm too poor for that shit. Only snap on tool I own is a torque wrench lol. Whatever is in my reach that tightens/loosens whatever I'm working on will be used.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
Boerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoerseun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: (South Africa) Mechanized Infantry. 1 SAI Btn
Name: Ferdie
Boerseun's Tacoma Gallery
I don't use my tools enough to justify anything expensive. I have a mix-match of Craftsman, Kobalt and Stanley and they all serve me well.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #12
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Snap on, proto.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boerseun View Post
I don't use my tools enough to justify anything expensive.
Same here. As of late I've been mostly using Kobalt. Last mechanics tool set I picked up was a nice Kobalt set. Not saying that's the best out there but they've served me well for what I need.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
Walker is on a distinguished road
Name: Walker
Walker's Tacoma Gallery
Snap-On and Matco are what i use but being out of the tool truck areas for a while i have been getting Napa Proffesional tools and they are alright
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #15
Old Newbie
Chad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shedChad7088 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Chad7088's Tacoma Gallery
I've always been a craftsman guy....they are lifetime warranty-no questions asked also, unless things have changed that I don't know about.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 PM   #16
SteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteelCityPickle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andy
SteelCityPickle's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben83 View Post
I like Kobalt and Craftsman. Been picking up more of the Kobalt lately. Don't use my tools often enough to justify more expensive ones.

If I could afford Snap-On and actually needed such high quality tools that is probably what I would buy.
This
Old 12-01-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Snap on for sho. I dont have any, but when I go to my friends they ALL have Snap on. THE SHIT!!! Finish, comfort, quality, its all there
Old 12-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
Toyota Technician
That Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud ofThat Dude Tim has much to be proud of

That Dude Tim's Tacoma Gallery
I use a bit of each, i love snap-on wrenches and ratchets but use craftsman sockets b/c i use them sometimes for more then just turning nuts and bolts, they can be hit with hammers to drive out yoke caps and other such things well too. i use the matco straight and 90 air grinders b/c they are quite and have a good feel. then again most of my snap-on tools were bought from pawn shops from ebay, very good deals from pawn shops
Old 12-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben83 View Post

This, 100%.

I've got a smattering of Husky along with my Kobalts, but all of my complete sets are Craftsman.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #20
Banned
Kirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shedKirk1589 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
Kirk1589's Tacoma Gallery
I've had snap on stuff break but the ONE ratchet i have put thru ever living hell has never let me down is a COMPOSITE yes plastic-ish ratchet from HFT. I've had a pipe on that sucker and it just goes along with the abuse. This thing
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...het-66314.html

Products Discussed in this Thread