Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Any suggestions for padding a carport support?

Old 12-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
JRFry is on a distinguished road
JRFry's Tacoma Gallery
Any suggestions for padding a carport support?

My carport is a tight fit, and I don't always park far enough away from the posts that support the roof. I want to wrap some padding around the posts closest to my car doors so that I won't dent the doors if I open them too far. I was hoping to find something like the tubular insulation that's split lengthwise to fit around plumbing pipes--only bigger. The carport supports are about 3 inches, and they're square. Does anyone know if insulation material comes in bigger sizes? Or pieces/sheets? It doesn't have to be pretty, but I'm thinking along the lines of something better than a couple of rags held on with duct tape!!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
t4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedt4daddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

t4daddy's Tacoma Gallery
How about one of those pool noodles split open? Just wondering.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
My thoughts exactly^
Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
Insulation comes in sheets, the have it at home depot or lowes. If you want to look into that option it is called rigid insulation
Old 12-06-2012, 12:11 PM   #6
Miketech has a spectacular aura aboutMiketech has a spectacular aura about

Name: Mike
Miketech's Tacoma Gallery
Foam

You can buy a huge variety of densities of foam from foam stores. Here in seattle we have one called Friendly Foam. Some of it cuts well on a table saw, some of it with a hot knife, yet more works well with an electric turkey knife, just depends on the type of foam. You can then cut out 4 sides and tape the joins. If you wanted to go further you could even get some tough outdoor type fabric (walmart sells it cheap) and cover it so it will be even longer before you have to replace the foam pieces. However because they are just strips of foam you could replace them pretty easily anytime.

Or... if you used the split pipe insulation you could get some pretty thick stuff and split it over the corners of the post, wrap some tape to hold it there (or peel off the backing and stick that, just not sure how well that would hold to your post, being as its an adhesive meant to stick to itself) and it should keep both the post and your truck protected from each other. Benefit of this method is that you already know where to find the pipe insulation! =P

Hope this helped!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
JRFry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectTekniq View Post
Cost a bit more but?
!!! What are these??
Old 12-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
JRFry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miketech View Post
You can buy a huge variety of densities of foam from foam stores. Here in seattle we have one called Friendly Foam. Some of it cuts well on a table saw, some of it with a hot knife, yet more works well with an electric turkey knife, just depends on the type of foam. You can then cut out 4 sides and tape the joins. If you wanted to go further you could even get some tough outdoor type fabric (walmart sells it cheap) and cover it so it will be even longer before you have to replace the foam pieces. However because they are just strips of foam you could replace them pretty easily anytime.

Or... if you used the split pipe insulation you could get some pretty thick stuff and split it over the corners of the post, wrap some tape to hold it there (or peel off the backing and stick that, just not sure how well that would hold to your post, being as its an adhesive meant to stick to itself) and it should keep both the post and your truck protected from each other. Benefit of this method is that you already know where to find the pipe insulation! =P

Hope this helped!
"Friendly Foam," huh?? Interesting....

Seriously tho, lots of good ideas here. Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #9
JRFry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
How about one of those pool noodles split open? Just wondering.
Ah-hah!! Great idea. But I doubt I can find any this time of year (and I don't have a pool...)

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Pool 'Noodles' or pipe insulation. Both are cheap and readily available.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
BHP is on a distinguished road
BHP's Tacoma Gallery
You can get one of those cheap blue foam sleeping bag pads, cut it to size and zip tie the sections onto the posts.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #12
evanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedevanmb31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: evan
evanmb31's Tacoma Gallery
This is what i was talking about
Any suggestions for padding a carport support?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1354824272.602325.jpg
Rigid foam insulation.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
JRFry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
You can get one of those cheap blue foam sleeping bag pads, cut it to size and zip tie the sections onto the posts.
!! Good!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #14
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
i used an old hand truck (dolly) tire on a post at my mom's apartment.. but i could just slip i over the top. not so sure how difficult it would be to cut one open. it lasted forever.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHP View Post
This ^^^ I've done this before when I had a garage with center support posts.