Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Building a new House

Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #41
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlleiber View Post
Definitely need a constant load path from roof trusses to wall (clips) and wall to the foundation. 48" anchor bolt spacing for the bases is pretty common for what we do here in Indiana and Iowa has the same wind design speeds as us. A lot of times though, based on code uplift, the dead load of the roof will offset the majority of that uplift and not many truss clips or base anchors are needed (hence the seemingly large 4' spacing)

Congrats on building the house OP! Just moved into my newly built house in June. Very excited stuff. I'm surprised you're 6 months in though and still have six months left. The whole process took me 5-6 months total

We just broke ground last week. The first 6 months was the planning and BS to get things set in motion.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #42
krap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrap22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
You do realize you previously gave the OZ-meister permission to talk shit in here, right? No take backs

Can't wait to see the progress!

Hense the in my post.

I know the BS will flow whether I approve of it or not.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 AM   #43
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Definitely need a constant load path from roof trusses to wall (clips) and wall to the foundation. 48" anchor bolt spacing for the bases is pretty common for what we do here in Indiana and Iowa has the same wind design speeds as us. A lot of times though, based on code uplift, the dead load of the roof will offset the majority of that uplift and not many truss clips or base anchors are needed (hence the seemingly large 4' spacing)
Thanks

I'm kinda suprised at the minimal uplift connections you stated

We generally do more than that here , without the tornado threat
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #44
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Thanks

We don't really design for tornadoes, per se. The design wind speed we use is 90MPH and generally translates to ~25psf uplift. Then you have 15psf dead load, so you're really just looking at 10psf net uplift (maybe 400 pounds per truss - easily handled by a small clip). Tornadoes go up to 300MPH, so I think the general consensus is, if you are unlucky enough to get hit by a tornado, a stick-frame building isn't going to hold up anyways. So we just design for heavy storm winds
Old 12-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #45
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We don't really design for tornadoes, per se. The design wind speed we use is 90MPH and generally translates to ~25psf uplift. Then you have 15psf dead load, so you're really just looking at 10psf net uplift (maybe 400 pounds per truss - easily handled by a small clip). Tornadoes go up to 300MPH, so I think the general consensus is, if you are unlucky enough to get hit by a tornado, a stick-frame building isn't going to hold up anyways. So we just design for heavy storm winds
Are you a PEng ?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
jlleiber has a spectacular aura aboutjlleiber has a spectacular aura about
Name: Justin
jlleiber's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Are you a PEng ?
Hopefully soon...will take the exam in a year and a half.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

This is good to know. I know we do get at least 1 storm a year that gets 60-80 mph winds coming through. Trying to build for a storm with 200 mph winds would just cost too much, that is why we have basements.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #48
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
You should do a poured in place wall all the way up AND a poured concrete roof tied in to the walls with rebar hooks, on a light weight pan deck sitting on steel trusses.
I designed a house like that in FL for the hurricanes back in '07. I was going to build it for myself when the market crashed. Good luck tornado, give it your best

The only thing you would have to replace would be some windows, siding and roof shingles. Otherwise its bomb proof.

It would cost a bit more, but man!! Solid.

The engineer looked at me like I was a nutjob. He actually said, have you ever heard of overkill.

Plus the roof would NEVER leak.
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #49

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hopefully soon...will take the exam in a year and a half.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #51
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you have like 6 months to go?... That's not soon!
Old 12-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
Yes it is
Old 12-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #53
When Hell Freezes Over I'll Ski There Too
Pchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shedPchop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Aviation Machinist Mate
Name: Rob I
Pchop's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isu2014 View Post
It is for home builders...who are typically slower than molasses in winter
Old 12-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #54
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Hope the snow we got yesterday didn't send your builder into hibernation
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #55
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadderkdawg View Post
Hope the snow we got yesterday didn't send your builder into hibernation
Nope, it will be back in the 40's later this week.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #56
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krap22 View Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #57
FJ FTW!
southern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shedsouthern_x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

southern_x's Tacoma Gallery
looks like a pretty spacious house!

Im just finally finishing mine up been moved in for 2months let me tell you the process seems forever but once your moved in its well worth it
Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM   #58
Old Man Winter
95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed95SLE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 34th SIG
Name: Tom
95SLE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern_x View Post
looks like a pretty spacious house!

Im just finally finishing mine up been moved in for 2months let me tell you the process seems forever but once your moved in its well worth it
And the honeydo lists will keep ypu busy for 2 to 3 years.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM   #59
krap22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95SLE View Post
And the honeydo lists will keep ypu busy for 2 to 3 years.

honey do list for only 2-3 years, I could only be so lucky.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #60
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I have found that Canada is always a step or three ahead of the states as far as code revisions go. As far as hurricane ties are concerned where I live every truss is required a hurricane tie regardless of the uplift value.