So, I had this happen to me a couple of years ago:
So I installed these:
After talking with TC about the type of grease - they said to use graphite grease - so I made some home brew:
And it was back on the trails on 7/23/10:
This week I decided it was time to take the front end apart and see how things are going.
Well, these things are beef! Other than the openings for the shocks not being large enough for my fox shocks, and it would have been nice to have a cad plate on the uniball cup, I have no complaints at all!!
... until I took them apart.
I had hoped to stop by TC today to pick up some new bushings but they have that beautiful work policy of being closed on Fridays! Nice!
Anyway, now my only issue is with the front mounts. The diameter of the steel bushing inside the poly is not thick enough for it's application. The stock configuration probably gives about 3 sq inches of metal-to-metal mating surface. The, as designed TC poly bushing/steel bushing insert gives at best about 3/8 sq inches of mating surface. So, after two years of use, the steel insert and the LCA perches have ground into each other damaging the perch and the steel bushing. Not irreparable but damaged all the same.
Here you can see how the front poly/steel bushing wittled itself down.
Due to the fact that the eccentric hardware for the rear mount allows for a thicker steel bushing in the center of the poly the condition was hardly noticeable and I will not be changing anything there.
My contemplated cure of this condition...
From my destroyed OEM LCA, I stripped the rubber off of the bushing and cut it in half. The one in the picture is the rear and will not be used in my cure (see how much thicker it is compared to the steel bushing in the poly/steel bushing on the right).
My plan is to make two plugs that will fit in the ends of the poly (making sure that they are cut/trimmed to ensure a perfect 90° cut. Then cut (I would love to have access to a metal lathe) the metal center bushing so that the total compressed center metal bushing and the two new plugs will be precisely the same dimension as the OEM bushing configuration.
Next I will have have to either take off the thrust portion (the larger diameter of the poly bushing) and find a thin nylon or some material that I can use as thrust washers, or machine off enough material on both sides of the front bushing boss (I'd love to have access to a Bridgeport mill! ) to compensate for the thickness of the large diameter part of the new plugs.
With these new plugs I will be back to having PLENTY of steel-on-steel surface area to never have to worry about the metal bushings eating up the LCA mounting perches.
For any of you that have seen this same condition or currently have yours apart - I'd love to hear from you.