Notices

Trailer building

Old 12-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Patrobs is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Patrick
Patrobs's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer building

I'm starting my trailer project this week. I was originally going to make the frame from 2" square stock. After talking with a friend of mine he suggested I use channel stock instead so I would not have to deal with any rust on the inside of the frame. I live in New Hampshire so this will see a lot of weather. Anyone else want to weigh in on this? The trailer will mostly be used for yard work and camping. It's going to get a tepui tent on it.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Channel would be a good choice forsure. It wll be more expensive but it will be stronger. Im not sure i agree with the rusting in the tubing. Just cap the ends and drill a couple holes for water drainage. The square tubing will last longer than the trailer itself.

I work at a trailer dealership and we've built a couple trailers. All the cargo and equipment trailers 12' and up are built with 4", 6" or 8" channel frames. But the small utility are built with square tubing and angle iron.