So many months ago I purchased a large pelican case.
Same one as this: ( I ended up with 2, bought one for a friend that later changed his mind ) This is the picture of my extra one.
Fits perfectly in the bed of my DCLB. Has wheels and latches with handles. Makes it fairly easy to load even when it's loaded up with off road gear and spare parts.
However I decided that I wanted to get more use out of it. Thus I wanted to see how I could make improvements to it.
So first off I keep a spare front axle in the case whenever I go off road, only issue was it would move around and being heavy it would smash up anything else near it so I have to figure out a solution.
My solution was to use a quick-fist clamp and bolt it to the side of the case, seal the hole so the case will retain it's seal. And be able to keep the axle from moving around.
This is what I used to seal it, and in the background you can see the bolts.
The next part is simple, I just measured out where I needed the hole to be and drilled it through. Put sealant on the hole then the bolt & washer through it. Then added a spacer on it and bolted the quick fist on.
With that taken care of I needed to add some loops to hook cords on to keep the stuff in order. Bought some threaded eyelets and did the similar drill and seal as with the clamp:
Then I wanted to do something with the top, I thought about how I could add some legs to it to make the top a table. So while wheelin' or camping I can pop the top off and set it up.
I purchased some 17mm bolts about 4" long with lock washers and nuts. Bought (4) 3ft sticks of square weldable steel that was slightly smaller in inner diameter than the 17mm bolt.
As I looked at the cover I noticed there were flash marks from when the unit was molded. I drilled them out and used the sealant and bolted the bolts through.
Bolt and Nut with Lock washer:
Tightened it down:
Here on the top right you can see the completed bolt:
Then had to drill out the legs for the table. So taking those (4) 3ft square tubing from earlier I had to modify them to accept the 17mm bolt. Using a step bit I stepped it down a few levels until they slid over the bolts.
When I finished I slid the leg over to make sure it fit and added some rubber caps at the end for feet.
Then repeat 3 more times and you have the base going.
I still need to get some flat steel to connect the two legs on each side, so it won't be wobble. But it can support some decent weight as you saw above.
I will update once I get that done. Then Paint the legs with Bed Liner.
But overall I'm hoping it will work out well. The legs will be removable and fold inside and can setup quickly.
ON a side note I picked up some clear plastic locking containers and split the gear.
-Spare Parts in the bottom ( Ball Joints/Tie Rods/Rad Cap/Thermostat/etc)
Thanks for reading! Will update as I make changes.