Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

My ongoing project thread

Old 01-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #1
DLAV is on a distinguished road
Name: Denis
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery
My ongoing project thread

Well I have big plans to build all my furniture for our house. We got married roughly a year ago, and we are using all hand me down stuff we collected from friends and family throughout our university years. I am going to use this thread to dump pictures and ask for advice on design and function. My dad has been a General Contractor for the past 30+ years so I grew up around tools. I went to University to become an Industrial Arts teacher. I finished my degree but didn't step foot in the classroom, mostly because I was 22 and single at the time and I didn't feel mature or ready enough to settle down in a lifelong career.

I have been installing cabinets for the last 5 years and I really enjoy woodworking in my spare time. I recently started installing for a smaller shop. I am the only installer and there are only about 8 people that work in the shop. The owner of the company allows me to buy anything at his cost and use anything in his shop. Including the spray booth. When I'm not out on an install I set up in the shop and work there during the day. I am still working on the first project there but I have done a few more set up on the gravel driveway at my parents place.

I am open to any comments or suggestions. Just be nice
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery

This is the first picture that I thought of taking. Sorry no earlier ones. I saw a picture of this online and I built it off the top of my head with no plans. I used Cherry wood.

Close up of the wine rack. I notched each piece with multiple passes on the mitre saw so that they all interlock

Drying in the stain booth. I decided to go with a clear laquer and let the cherry age and colour naturally.

Doors, drawers, etc...
Old 01-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery
I have at least 40 hours into this and have roughly another 8 do build drawers and do the final assembly
Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 AM   #4
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery

I will hopefully have this completed tomorrow. I just have to assemble the drawers and mount them fronts and handles. Then on to the next project.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery

This is my first major project. We use it as an armoire in our bedroom. It is a little bigger then I would like. I think it lacks some depth, it just looks like a big flat box.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
wileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shedwileyC is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wileyC's Tacoma Gallery
wow! that looks great! i'd wager a lot of skill/craftsmanship is involved there... how many pieces of furniture are you going to build for this house?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAV View Post

I will hopefully have this completed tomorrow. I just have to assemble the drawers and mount them fronts and handles. Then on to the next project.
Would this be classified as " Stickley " style ?

I really like your proportions
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #8
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileyC View Post
wow! that looks great! i'd wager a lot of skill/craftsmanship is involved there... how many pieces of furniture are you going to build for this house?
So far the plan is to build a bed with matching bedside tables, kitchen table and bench(not sure if I will tackle building the chairs or not), matching coffee table and end tables, bookshelf, TV/entertainment stand and anything else that my wife may have in mind. This will probably take place over a couple of years.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
DLAV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Would this be classified as " Stickley " style ?

I really like your proportions
Thank you, I can't take credit for the design because I found it here http://www.erikorganic.com/dining-ro...-baroque.shtml. I didn't have any measurements though so I can take some credit for it actually looking like the picture. haha. The website says that it is "Baroque" style but I really don't think it is. As for what style it is, I would say its a blend of stickly/mission/modern. The angles also kind of give it an asian feel.

We spent quite a bit of looking around at higher end furniture stores getting ideas. I take all the things i like and put into one piece and hope it turns out.