1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Outdoor Motion Sensing Security Light

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Fink, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    Fink

Fink [OP] Motorboatin' SOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    WeatherTechs, 265/75-16 DuraTracs, ATX Mojave Teflon Wheels, ARE V-Series Shell
    I am shopping around for an outdoor motion sensing security light to install at the rear entrance of our office building.

The ones I have found on Amazon have less than desirable reviews for the most part.

Anybody have one of these that they really like?

Here are some that I have looked at on Amazon so far...

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...&sr=1-3&keywords=Outdoor+Motion+Sensing+Light

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...&sr=1-9&keywords=Outdoor+Motion+Sensing+Light

http://www.amazon.com/Heath-Zenith-...sr=1-13&keywords=Outdoor+Motion+Sensing+Light

I don't necessarily need anything that is blindingly bring - I just want something bright enough to deter a burglar that may attempt to break in through the back door :)p).

So far, I am leaning towards this one - Heath Zenith SL-5630-BZ-D.

Any input you guys can provide on lights like this will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Fink

2. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I like that one and the first one you listed. Can't go wrong with either. I have an older one that uses 2 screw-in floodlights, kind of prefer the 2 bulb one in case one goes out you still have the other at the moment.

3. Jan 6, 2013 at 11:43 AM
    Fink

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    That's a good point.

I like all the ones I linked to, but some of the reviews are just plain awful.

A lot of them say that simply the reflection of the light can cause it to go crazy. I don't want this thing becoming a strobe light as it will be on the side of the office that is right next to a neighboring business.

I like the one I linked to at the end the most, as it has a shorter range which makes me hopeful that passing cars won't trigger it. It also seems like it would be bright enough to light up the area pretty well.

The alternative to this is we add a light to our existing timed light system - but the quote for that was $800. Way too damn much.

Fink

4. Jan 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    The first one doesn't seem to get too many good reviews (3 stars after 57 reviews). Check the negatives to make sure what they're complaining about doesn't apply to you.

5. Jan 6, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    I currently own the 1st one you listed. Note that it is warranted for 10 years... keep your receipt. The 1st one I bought lasted about 5 months. It was great. Then it started being intermittent and ultimately failed all together. I called their customer service dept. and answered all their questions, tried their "tape" test (block off the sensor) and called back the next day. Told them I tried their test and that it didn't work. They had me fax a copy of my receipt and they'd send me a new unit. A few days later I got a completely new unit. The new unit works but I think the sensor is miss aligned because I have it in the same exact location as the other but I had to rotate the sensor head way to the right to get it to pick up motion at the point I want it to... but it's working.

FWIW, I took the old sensor head apart as I was curious if water had seeped in or shoddy soldering had done it in. I can't tell you how many electronic items I've resuscitated by touching up poor solder joints. But to my surprise the unit was sealed tightly, had a quality rubber gasket, and the solder joints looked good. Must have been a component problem.

6. Jan 6, 2013 at 4:36 PM
    Fink

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 Regular Cab 4x4
    That's what I'm seeing with a lot of them. The ones that have the best reviews have four of five stars after 1-5 reviews.

I checked the legit negative ones (by verified purchasers through Amazon) and most of the time they are complaining at the sensor failing over time.

Thanks for the reply!

Great info! The warranty is a huge selling point for me. May have to just go with that one. I mean, afterall, it is company money and not my own so as long as it's under warranty, that sounds like a safe gamble.

Again, thanks for posting this - great info and I'm glad you actually own one of the ones I listed. Helps a ton.

Fink

7. Jan 7, 2013 at 5:00 PM
    478DblSport

478DblSport Thermonuclear Protection

Member:
    Byron, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver Streak Mica PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    | EXTERIOR | DiamondBack SE Tonneau Cover, Havoc HS2 Hoop Steps, Tailgate Hose Clamp Mod, Shortened OEM Antenna, DeeZee Bed Mat | INTERIOR | Flyzeye V2W (Amber/White/Amber), RAM Mt A-Pillar Mod, Audio: Pioneer AVH-X5700, PDX-5 (119Wx4+410W), Polk Audio MM6501 (F) & MM651 (R), JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 (Sub), w/Monster, Rockford, & Streetwire cabling, Metra Dash Kit.
    Sure, Glad to help.

Products Discussed in

To Top