Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Termite company doing repair work? Legit?

Old 01-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
Termite company doing repair work? Legit?

So, the house I rent from my uncle has termites. What seems to be a lot of termites. My uncle called out the pest control company he uses, and the inspector walked around the property noting different things. In addition the termites, he said there was some rotted wood and some wood that had fungus on it. When he sent in the quote for the termite tenting, there was a whole list of other things on there, most of which were replacing wood. He recommended replacing pieces of the outdoor patio, as well as pieces of the front fascia and roof (piece that hangs down, not the actual roof).

I am just curious if you guys have ever heard of a pest control company doing construction like that. I had no idea they would do such a thing. Not only that, but it seems like some of the quotes were fairly cheap. 300 dollars to replace the wood on the patio, and 350 for the front fascia, which looks difficult to replace.

I'm sure you'll advise me to have a real contractor do the work, but if it wasn't for the termite inspector, I would not have ever been considering it. Also, since my uncle owns the house and will be paying, I am sure he would not hire an outside contractor either.
Thanks.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #2
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post
So, the house I rent from my uncle has termites. What seems to be a lot of termites. My uncle called out the pest control company he uses, and the inspector walked around the property noting different things. In addition the termites, he said there was some rotted wood and some wood that had fungus on it. When he sent in the quote for the termite tenting, there was a whole list of other things on there, most of which were replacing wood. He recommended replacing pieces of the outdoor patio, as well as pieces of the front fascia and roof (piece that hangs down, not the actual roof).

I am just curious if you guys have ever heard of a pest control company doing construction like that. I had no idea they would do such a thing. Not only that, but it seems like some of the quotes were fairly cheap. 300 dollars to replace the wood on the patio, and 350 for the front fascia, which looks difficult to replace.

I'm sure you'll advise me to have a real contractor do the work, but if it wasn't for the termite inspector, I would not have ever been considering it. Also, since my uncle owns the house and will be paying, I am sure he would not hire an outside contractor either.
Thanks.
If the termite guys are licensed to do that kind of work sure.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Termites are in the wood

Getting rid of the wood with the termites in it is a good thing
Old 01-17-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewskie View Post

Thanks.
They my contact it out and have a woodwork guy come in behind them and do the repairs. Either way...If they quote you to do the work...You,should expect it to be legit...Maybe not super amazing professional...but legit.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
New Tacoma 0wner!!!
TreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shedTreeFortRichard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TreeFortRichard's Tacoma Gallery
Try finding an exterminator that offers the Sentricon system...we had termites when we moved in and it's amazing...I have a slab ranch that was poured in multiple different phases and they left the plywood between the sections...so the termites worked their way up that and into some of the walls...So when we first moved in they swarmed out of a kitchen wall...

So we got the Sentricon and the next year when we gutted a bunch of the house there was NO termites...anywhere...there were old leftover damaged wood...

Also we replaced all the 2x4's along the floor with pressure treated wood...termites will seek out every other possible wood before taking a bite of pressure treated lumber.

We pay about $300 a year for the service and have had no termites for over 8 years...
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
drewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrewskie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
drewskie's Tacoma Gallery
^ Thanks for the reply. I was just going to update this thread too. I haven't done anything with the termites yet, but I just saw that they have completely eaten through one of the supports on the patio. I am going to call the company this week and at least have them come tent for the termites.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:00 AM   #7
JohnJigo is on a distinguished road
Name: John
JohnJigo's Tacoma Gallery
Well I haven't heard anything about such case before,but you can rely on pest control exterminator they wont advice your anything which is not good for you.