Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater

Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Hybrid Heat Pump Water Heater

Does anyone use a Hybrid Heat Pump water heater? They work on the same principle as a heat pump air conditioner. I've just learned about them and it seems like it would be a good option for Southern California/Arizona since we don't get that much cold weather (heat pumps don't work well below 40 degrees). They're expensive but they also cool the space in the summer. Supposedly, they'll cut your energy use for water heating by 60% and have an efficiency rating of 2.5 vs ~0.98 for a standard water heater.

My current water heater is an 80 gallon AO Smith from 1999 (runs on 220) (5200kwh per year). It's working fine now but in the event it fails, the hybrid might be a good option for me.

One question I have is the space requirements. My current water heater is in a closet but it's inside the house (in the middle of the floor plan). They recommend at least a 10x10 space. I was wondering if it would still work okay in the closet since it's indoors.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
My brother's house I just built has a air to water heat pump to supply hot water for the hydronic slab heat and domestic preheat tank
Old 01-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
There's an evil monkey in my truck
Evil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shedEvil Monkey is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Tradevman (flight simulator tech), Aviation Electrician (F-14a), Computer Scientist(civ)
Name: Robert
Evil Monkey's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
My brother's house I just built has a air to water heat pump to supply hot water for the hydronic slab heat and domestic preheat tank
So it works okay in the cold? For the preheat tank, is it heating up water that then goes to another hot water heater?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Monkey View Post
So it works okay in the cold? For the preheat tank, is it heating up water that then goes to another hot water heater?
It works down to a certain temperature which escapes me now , I can find out for you , below that cut off temperature there is a back up electric heating element .

Yes , the domestic hot water goes into a 40gal pre heat tank that then feeds the regular water heater with warm rather than cold water