Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

New welder, gotta learn how to weld

Old 01-19-2013, 06:44 PM   #1
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
New welder, gotta learn how to weld

I bought a new Harbor Freight welder yesterday and got the 240v wired in today. So I got to play a little. Here are pictures of my first beads ever! Ugly as sin, but they are the first steps in being able build some of my own trail armor.

All you experienced welders feel free to tell me just how bad these welds are, as long as you follow it up with how to fix it.

My first three attempts all running into each other.

Attempt number four is prettier, but I don't know how to know for sure how well it is penetrating.

By the way, all ye neigh-sayers about the Chicago Electric welders, it will blow a hole straight through 1/4" plate. It just did it (oops).
Old 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
No gas? I wouldnt use it.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
i know the local trade high school near me offers night classes. you may want to look into that
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
No gas? I wouldnt use it.
It is capable of gas, but I haven't bought any of the necessary equipment. I won't spend that money until I have some flux-core practice under my belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i know the local trade high school near me offers night classes. you may want to look into that
Lol... oh come-on, I'm not that bad!
Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
I sell fishing and fishing accessories
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
It is capable of gas, but I haven't bought any of the necessary equipment. I won't spend that money until I have some flux-core practice under my belt.

Lol... oh come-on, I'm not that bad!
Flux core isnt really a skill you need to have.

Learn with gas.welds will come out better.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
% 75/25 - Argon/CO2

MIG's better if you have the capability.

learn using that.

muh $ .02
Old 01-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Air Force:
Why so against the flux. I know it makes dirty, spattery welds, but is there some reason that it would penetrate better or produce a stronger weld? Just curious.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #8
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not against flux welding...
tho' with the common splatter issue... I'd prefer to leave
that for barnyard welding

On your truck, ugly welds are just that
you will come to prefer MIG's cleaner welds W/ less splatter

Be sure you clean to bare metal for the grounding (helpful)
dirty metal, to be welded, is a spoiler...
so... remove any oil, residue, etc. from the work areas

practice, practice, practice

start with simple projects in the beginning

A class is helpful in understanding the basics
Tho' all the know how is posted online if you look.
^ it's not like welding is a new thing

did I say practice !?
Old 01-23-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Fire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura aboutFire Taco Fighter has a spectacular aura about
Firefighter:
Fire Taco Fighter's Tacoma Gallery
spend the money get the gas set up......weld are much better, stronger and easier.
I was in the same boat once you are now.