Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Need your advice for railing

Old 01-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #21
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
No " graspable " , continuous handrail , no secondary means of support ( frame ) if the glass blows
what about something that attaches to the stringer like this? of course you may need to get access to the under side of the stairs to add in additional blocking behind the stringer for support. If you can't do that then you run the risk of the railing breaking loose if there was enough force against it (say if someone did lose their balance and fell against the railing).

or this

Old 01-21-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
here's what i was thinking. get three posts (red) that go from basement all the way to the appropriate height. put those posts between both stair runs, then secure the posts into the appropriate points as needed: existing wall at top, stairs, etc. make the center post removable and possibly the long one too. You could put them in with the lag screws as needed and not glue in the wood plugs. just leave them in with a friction fit. then build 4 panels of material of your choice (purple) mount them to the side of the three posts depending on the side of the stair run. this breaks down for big bulky objects but should be strong enough to catch a person when needed on occasion.

i am not a professional, so this idea is at your own risk. the weakest point is potentially the post on the landing by the front door.

here's what is in my mind.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #23
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by comiesutra View Post
here's what i was thinking. get three posts (red) that go from basement all the way to the appropriate height. put those posts between both stair runs, then secure the posts into the appropriate points as needed: existing wall at top, stairs, etc. make the center post removable and possibly the long one too. You could put them in with the lag screws as needed and not glue in the wood plugs. just leave them in with a friction fit. then build 4 panels of material of your choice (purple) mount them to the side of the three posts depending on the side of the stair run. this breaks down for big bulky objects but should be strong enough to catch a person when needed on occasion.

i am not a professional, so this idea is at your own risk. the weakest point is potentially the post on the landing by the front door.

here's what is in my mind.

Something like that was my idea. The hard part will be the center and the top though. The top is a hard part to attach it to. I'll get a picture of it in a second.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:

This is the old post. Obviously doesn't work anymore. But I will have to find a way to anchor it into the wall.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
comiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shedcomiesutra is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
comiesutra's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post

This is the old post. Obviously doesn't work anymore. But I will have to find a way to anchor it into the wall.
take that post out. carefully remove the trim. remove some of the drywall and reinforce that end 2x4 with another 2x4. then tie your new larger post into that after you patch up the drywall. depending on where you decide to put that post on the landing by the front door, you might be able to remove a piece of the flooring to patch the area on the top level after you remove the existing post.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #26
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well if a wall is out and the budget is " whatever " , I would go 12mm tempered glass in glass clips
Like this

Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #27

Air Force:
I like that. And, if I tore out the wall upstairs, I could just do what they did on the bottom of the glass... It would take up the room of the existing wall.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #28
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I like that. And, if I tore out the wall upstairs, I could just do what they did on the bottom of the glass... It would take up the room of the existing wall.
I built that railing
Old 01-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #29

Air Force:
Quote:
I built that railing
What did you use on the bottom?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #30

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
What did you use on the bottom?
The base that the flat glass is sitting on ?

The whole railing system is made of vertical grain Fir
Old 01-22-2013, 08:47 PM   #31

Air Force:
Quote:
The base that the flat glass is sitting on ?

The whole railing system is made of vertical grain Fir
Yeah. Man that looks nice. Not sure what it would look like next to dark bamboo though. Now I have a new project to look at for it. Guess I may be knocking out those walls.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #32

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. Man that looks nice. Not sure what it would look like next to dark bamboo though. Now I have a new project to look at for it. Guess I may be knocking out those walls.
You could use whatever wood suits , but this is the design I was talking about
Old 01-22-2013, 09:16 PM   #33
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well if a wall is out and the budget is " whatever " , I would go 12mm tempered glass in glass clips
This.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 PM   #34
TahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shedTahoeChris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
TahoeChris's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Like this

That's a weird way to install clips though. Usually they are installed on the sides.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #35
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
That's a tough one.

You don't want the lower half of the stairwell blocked off, and don't want the railing attached to the treads.
There's not enough room between the sides for both rails... need some space between the graspable rails at the junction at the landing.

The only thing I can come up with is something like this. The rail would mount as if it were attached to walls, but it keeps the area between the top of the bottom rail and the bottom of the upper staircase open for moving items.
It also effectively closes off the "drop zone" where small children can "bomb" people on the first floor

Attached Thumbnails
Need your advice for railing-handrail.jpg  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #36
Recklessly tired
Fightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shedFightnfire is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Fightnfire's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
That's a weird way to install clips though. Usually they are installed on the sides.
I've only really seen top/bottom. I imagine you would want the clips to tie the handrail and glass together or the handrail would take a lot of flex.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #37

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeChris View Post
In this orientation they help to support the top rail

Not weird
Old 01-23-2013, 03:45 PM   #38

Air Force:

Something like this also? If I do this along the stairs it wouldn't take up as much room
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #39

Air Force:
Oz, I think I am going to go with something between these 2. I'll do the glass in the wall, and down the stairs, but leave the existing walls, just cut them up to fit the glass panes.

and
Need your advice for railing-staircase-bi-level-sale-royalwood-manitoba-big-2157444.jpg
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #40

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I thought you didn't want the railing on the stairs ?