Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Off-Topic > Garage / Workshop

Notices

Need your advice for railing

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #41
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brady
Haslefre's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I thought you didn't want the railing on the stairs ?
We are going to knock off the side of the stairs already on there and build up a small 4" wall along the side and put the rail on it.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #43
Haslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shedHaslefre is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Need your advice for railing-20130121_171925.jpg

Right here. It seems like it comes off. Also, we will do the same on the other side where you can "fall through" to the basement if not paying attention.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #44
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haslefre View Post
Attachment 192281

Right here. It seems like it comes off. Also, we will do the same on the other side where you can "fall through" to the basement if not paying attention.
So , remove the white skirtboard and attach your wall to the stringer behind ?
Old 01-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #45

Air Force:
Quote:
So , remove the white skirtboard and attach your wall to the stringer behind ?
Yeah. I'm not good at the terminology for these things though. We aren't going to use a full wall all the way down the stairs though. We will just build out 4" inches from the stairs and attach some posts/rails down.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #46
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. I'm not good at the terminology for these things though. We aren't going to use a full wall all the way down the stairs though. We will just build out 4" inches from the stairs and attach some posts/rails down.
That will pose some challenges to make sure the wall doesn't act as a lever and cause a rotation in the stringer
Old 01-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #47

Air Force:
Quote:
That will pose some challenges to make sure the wall doesn't act as a lever and cause a rotation in the stringer
I guess when we pull the skirtboard off, we will have to go from there. But as of now, that will be the plan I guess. We aren't going to start until after tax returns come in.
Old 01-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #48

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I guess when we pull the skirtboard off, we will have to go from there. But as of now, that will be the plan I guess. We aren't going to start until after tax returns come in.
Yep , when you are ready , pop off the skirtboard and take some pics of whats in there , you may need access to the underside of the stringers to install compression blocking between the stringers so that it will resist a rotation that is the result of someone pushing outwards on the top of the railing wall
Old 01-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #49

Air Force:
Quote:
Yep , when you are ready , pop off the skirtboard and take some pics of whats in there , you may need access to the underside of the stringers to install compression blocking between the stringers so that it will resist a rotation that is the result of someone pushing outwards on the top of the railing wall
Will do. I plan on taking pictures of every step. The father in law is going to have someone come over these next two weeks to look at it as well for another set of eyes with our plans.

The 2 walls that we are going to be cutting out have 2x4"s every 16". It's a 103" wall. I haven't decided on 2 pillars in the center 34 inches apart or 1 center pillar at 52".
Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM   #50

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Will do. I plan on taking pictures of every step. The father in law is going to have someone come over these next two weeks to look at it as well for another set of eyes with our plans.

The 2 walls that we are going to be cutting out have 2x4"s every 16". It's a 103" wall. I haven't decided on 2 pillars in the center 34 inches apart or 1 center pillar at 52".
You understand what I'm saying about blocking the stringers , yes ?
Old 01-26-2013, 08:04 PM   #51

Air Force:
Quote:
You understand what I'm saying about blocking the stringers , yes ?
Yeah. Had to look it up to make sure I was on the right page, but yes.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #52

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah. Had to look it up to make sure I was on the right page, but yes.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #53
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's not legal here , not sure about down there
The handrail is on the wall. You can see the handrail on the second flight of stairs. The glass just acts as a barrier.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #54

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
The handrail is on the wall. You can see the handrail on the second flight of stairs. The glass just acts as a barrier.
Still not legal here
Old 01-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #55
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Still not legal here
Legal here per IRC which covers single family residential, but IBC which governs commercial applications would require a handrail to meet minimum load requirements even if there was a hand rail attached to the wall not shown in the picture
Old 01-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #56

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexterdog View Post
Legal here per IRC which covers single family residential, but IBC which governs commercial applications would require a handrail to meet minimum load requirements even if there was a hand rail attached to the wall not shown in the picture
Still not legal here
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #57
My pee parts itch

Quote:
Still not legal here
You Canadians are always a few steps ahead of us Americans when it comes to Code revisions. Just you wait-we may find the metric system some day and then you will be in trouble. Wait, who am I kidding. We will never adopt the metric system.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #58

Air Force:

It has started
Old 03-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #59
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
done yet?
Old 03-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #60

Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
done yet?
That's the end of the progress until Monday. Carpet gets put down. Then awaiting tax return for the rest of the railing.